Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can i cable tie a GB badge to my roll bar for driving in france??

zetec

The GB sticker, I can understand - the headlamp stickers though????

OK, Johny Foreigner might not bother fitting them when they come over *here*.

OK, there are plenty of people who have misaligned lights or who don't have a fecking-clue when to dip.

OK, there's a nightmare crowd of people out there with dodgy HID installations etc.

But why would you not want to reduce the risk of blinding the old French dear, coming towards you, who is just about to turn across your path????

Actually - I guess I'm the complete opposite of most of you. I fitted the headlamp things at least a year ago (to both of my sevens) and haven't removed them since! 😬

I rarely (basically never, these days) drive at night - so the loss of illumination in the UK is not an issue.

But why would you not want to reduce the risk of blinding the old French dear, coming towards you, who is just about to turn across your path????

I don't need headlamp stickers as I've no intention to drive at night. If I have too then they're in the boot and I can fit them 😬

UK RHD headlights dip to the left and hence can dazzle oncoming drivers in mainland Europe.

European LHD headlights dip downwards and hence aren't a problem. My SAAB and Range Rover have LHD headlights and are never taped up when driving back in UK - Never been flashed at.

The Seven has RHD with white pvc tape.

UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker when driving in European Union countries.

If you don't have this type of number plate the stickers are available on ebay here

European LHD headlights dip downwards and hence aren't a problem. My SAAB and Range Rover have LHD headlights and are never taped up when driving back in UK - Never been flashed at.

Why do Euro LHD lamps behave differently to UK RHD lamps in terms of their dipping - or is it just recent vehicles??? *confused*

20+ years of driving over there and never fitted a GB sticker.

Are they actually a legal requirement?

Even though always mentioned in travel advice leaflets, I always thought it was just nationalistic "flag waving"? (especially when the next paragraph says you can buy one in the "insert motoring organisation name" shop.

Peter