Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xstream red from Caterham

charlie_pank

Just been to get some coolant and they've given me this red stuff which doesn't tell you what's in it. It says it contains "glysantin" made by BASF and following the web-trail it looks like this stuff is ethelyne glycol, which - having done my research on this site - I know to be the WRONG stuff to be putting in my K-series. Caterham wouldn't sell me any coldstream they said that this red stuff was right, but I am VERY suspicious.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this red stuff ok in my ally engine?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Sorry I know there's been lots of stuff about coolant here but I couldn't find anything on this funny red stuff.

Kermit the frog

The red X-Stream is not as good as Coldstream or Rover 4 year coolant - it is just ethylene glycol with an anti-corrosion additives package that claims to be suitable for all alloy engines. If you want to test it, stick it in an old kettle and listen to how noisy it gets when it is cavitating. Then try the same with coldstream.

Thanks PC, I'll keep my receipt and take it back to Caterham and go to my local Rover dealers to get the right stuff. I am irritated - the receptionist even asked one of the guys who claimed to know what he was talking about to come and confirm with me that it was the right stuff and just as good as coldstream! Grrrrrrr......

Kermit the frog

I *believe* that the red Comma coolant is to replace the red coolant found in cars such as Toyotas, where they have their own 'For life' coolant, which is red.

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Edited by - Dirty Den on 26 Oct 2002 11:37:38

ooer, I have just replaced my coolant with, erm Bluecol, I think, following head surgery. Is this not a good idea on a 1.4K16? If not then I can drain it off and shove it in my scabby Volvo which can have any old sh*te, I really don't care as long as the core plugs stay in. Incidentally when I pulled the head off it looked as if it had been runnning without antifreeze: there was so much corrosion I thought I was back in the '70s with my Fisher Price crystal growing kit. Should I get rid and use Rover coolant?

I've said this before but I had the same experience as Graham - except that my local Rover dealer told me that the 4-year stuff didn't exist! I went straight to their local supplier and got it -the phone call to the Rover dealer was very embarassing (for them) *thumbup* 😬

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

My local Rover didn't know about the 4 years stuff either but I persisted and bought their 25 litre vat of the stuff when they proclaimed that it was the only stuff they could get. Considering the amount of times I've pulled the engine apart, enough to warrant a drain/refill, it was a good purchase. Ironic that it's 4-year coolant. It never last more than about 8 months in my car. *wink*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Following my little idea of starting a the seven online parts store I am aware of developments from a well know brand - there are moves on the cards that will put an end to all the "is it ok or not" debate for coolant in Caterhams.(and oil for that)

See X777CAT here

Probably Rod, as aluminiium rots outside a very narrow pH range (high and low), the coolant additive makes the water too acidic or most likely alkaline for long term security. I blew several thousand pound radiators at a very prestigious hotel becasue they didn't tell me that the rads were alloywhen I put the corrosion inhibitor in. Their mistake.