Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helicoil advice

AdamQ

I'm planning to have a crack at helicoiling the spark plug thread in the head of a BMW Mini Cooper tomorrow after the plug blew out and stripped most of the thread.

I've read up on how to go about this - use plenty of grease when tapping to catch the swarf and stop it falling into the cylinder and what have you, and I've got the two stage tap which means no drilling thankfully.

The only question I haven't been able to find an answer to is this: what stops the helicoil insert from simply being wound down into the cylinder when the plug is screwed back in?

I can only think that one has to be careful not to tap the entire hole to the larger, outer, helicoil thread in order to give that something to bottom out on - is this correct?

Any advice much appreciated.

Adam

Nowt wrong with helicoils -if fitted correctly. Rarely have them come out at work - we fit them in alloy components that will be continually dismantled/assembled in machine maintenance/set-up to save wear and tear on the alloy.

Friction is what keep's 'em in - the action of winding them in with the tool keeps them tightly wound and so free running. Wind in flush, stop winding, break the tang, or however your kits instructs, and use.

We do use other inserts in higher force applications though.

Bri

Don't be put off using the helicoil kits; Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness use them all the time in the construction of our nuclear subs!

As Bricol, says, take your time, do as instructed, et voila! *thumbup*