Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bump steer survey - does everyone end up raising the rack 9mm ?

Jason Plato

Yes Dave, so far it looks as though they do, odd though it may seem. Due to 'unforeseen circumstances' I've had two new long fronts on my car and they've both needed the rack to be raised by 9mm, one with the later front shock mount position. And that seems to be the experience of several others that have gone to the trouble of accurately measuring it.

Shad, you may have got used to the bump steer but you'll find it as revelation if you make an adjustment. But you're quite right, the gators do foul the side skin unless you cut the hole out a bit.

Paul

I wonder whether the rack mounting plate height was set for the earlier live axle front suspension setup and has never been checked or changed for the DD suspension. Either way the error does seem to be remarkably consistent. I wouldn't worry too much about the last 1 to 0.5mm as I suspect you won't notice the difference and there is a small amount of variation with suspension rise and fall anyway.

I have spent a lot of time measuring bump steer and adjusting it out using the shim methon for race cars. I agree with the rule of thumb 9mm rise to get rid of most of the bump steer. (for the later chassis). Also the comment made earlier where the last 0.5 / 1 mm will not be noticed on the road is probably true as well.

A few years ago Catherham modified the rack mounting clamps so now they come with the lower half taller than the top half. They have counter bored the cap head bolts so you can still use the original bolts even though the overall clamp is taller.

For road use a easy fix is to check if your mounts are the same top and bottom, if not purchase the updated ones. Also don't forget to reset your tracking after moving the rack!

For race use I think the time consuming and more accurate measuring / shim method will always give the best results as everyone is looking for the last tenth!

*thumbup* I appreciate the articles, but my thought is that there is a common change here that corrects a significant % of bump steer that could be usefull for everyone to know if we were to bring collective knowledge together *smile*

could even pass it onto Arch for a correction in build spec if it is a common variance ?

Look at the clamps holding the rack to the bridge. The top and bottom halves are probably the same and space the rack about 6mm off the bridge. That's standard. If there are some spacers between the bridge and the lower clamp then it has been raised, whether by the correct amount is anyone's guess.

If your car is darting all over the place and you don't have front toe out you could well have a bump steer issue. That was certainly the case with mine. A preliminary check can be to see if the track rods are about parallel with the bottom wishbone which they should be.

I entirely agree with Dave's approach and in the absence of any better info, 9mm looks about right.

*arrowup* *thumbup* thanks Mic

let's not degenerate into a "why haven't they fixed it thread"

I guessed mic would know of the solution and has already done it 😬

I was originally curious if older chassis have a consistant variance - which they appear to have so that we can all gain from with a simple mod *thumbup*

My '93 HPC chassis had the rack platform 12mm too high.

The older chassis were set up for the steel rack. Also, the early TRE's had a different spacing to those available now.

I reigned it in by moving to an alloy rack and machining the brackets down.

Rack position has always been all over the place. Bump steer has to be terrible to be noticable on a road 7 - leading to massive instability at high speed on bumpy lanes.

On the track it reveals itself as a lack of grip in roll.

Thanks for the update mic, I'm sure there are loads of little update tweaks that you have made over the years, that one is a little gem and I'd bet there's a fair few owners checking the orientaion of their mounts tihs weekend.

Thinking aload now - could there be a way of creating link perhaps on here for such Factory updates?, appariciate there will be a lot of variables on some changes but if it were possible to list the common ones to start with?

On most cars, the steering rods from rack to steering arms should be close to horizontal for low bump steer...

Would be interesting to see piccys taken from the front of various cars to see if the majority of steering arms are indeed horizontal?

http://freespace.virgin.net/shaw.clan/images/Eugene3.jpg