Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical Problem

Brebs

Can anyone please give me an idea where to start with this problem please.

Indicators and brake are affecting the speedo.

It doesn't happen all the time but basically if I put either indicator on the speedo needle waggles down about 20 mph each time the indicator flashes and when I press the brake the speedo needle drops to zero and returns to correct speed when I take foot off brake.

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Brebs

Edited by - brebs on 15 Apr 2012 19:20:54

• 4 months later...

Ok I know it's been a while since I started this thread but haven't got out much in the car this year.

the problem still exists and now I think think it is getting worse.

The oil pressure sensor has now become possessed and wiggles about erratically and sometimes just goes straight over to the far right and stays there.

I have removed all rear light clusters and cleaned and checked all earth connections.

What can I check for next???

Also - time to go mechanical oil pressure gauge !

Wonder - disconnect cable from OPG sender. Do other problems go away ?

You need to check all earth points and make sure contacts are clean, not corroded. The big ones from battery to engine and engine to chassis should also be checked and cleaned. Sure though it will be a 'small' earth under the dash.

Thanks for the fast responses, determined to get to the bottom of it this time.

Flashers and brake lights work fine as do the hazards.

The speedo is an electronic one with the sensor on the rear right axle.

Don't know about the way the oil pressure sensor works, sorry.

I will try disconnecting the OPG sender today and see what that does.

I have checked cleaned and double checked all earths in engine loom and main earth from battery and earth from engine to chassis.

How many earths are there to check under the dash and where should they be earthed to?

Thanks for the help.

Aha - right rear wheel speedo sensor !!

We had a car on the IOM trip that died completely. Turned out to be the speedo sensor cable cable tied ti rear chassis - cable ties chafed through looped (over-long) cable. Shorting between various cores.

Relatively easy fix.

Understand it is not an uncommon problem with this cable !

is the feed for the wobbly guages all from the same wire to the fuse box? If you have a fuse box key there may be a clue there if it says simply "instruments"; in which case wiggle the fuse to polish the connects.. and so on.

otherwise I agree with the earth thinking - multiple issues usually means an earth problem.

Anthony

When I built mine I had an issue with my cycle wing indicators not working. They somehow were elctrically isolated from ground? I Solved this by running a separate earth from the engine mounts back to the wing stay indicators.

I'm not saying this is the cause but until I fixed this I had all sorts of issues with incorrect tacho and speedo readings. Once earthed it all seemed to settle down.

Might be worth checking earth continuity to these? Just a thought

Quoting Smiffy69: 
When I built mine I had an issue with my cycle wing indicators not working. They somehow were elctrically isolated from ground?

I Solved this by running a separate earth from the engine mounts back to the wing stay indicators.

They earth through the flexible brake hoses normally

Jason

Thats what I thought but I have a R300 which seems to have some sort of composite caliper (possibly - happy to be corrected) ...and therefore it insulated everything - I did check the earthing of the brake hoses but all continuity stopped at the caliper ?!

Running a separate earth solved it

List of what I have done.

Checked and cleaned all connections in following.

Rear light clusters

Number plate light

Fog light

Reverse light

Checked and cleaned all multipoint connectors in the wiring loom going to rear lights.

Checked gap on speedo sensor, cleaned it and the toothed wheel on axle. Also checked and re-routed the wiring for same (No chaffing or signs of wear)

Checked and cleaned connectors to reversing light switch (Found one of these connections to be loose)

The earths under the dash seem fine and are attached securely to the wiper mount however just to make sure I have ran a wire from this earthing point direct to the battery negative.

I have checked cleaned and re-connecten the main earth leed from battery neg to the bell housing bolt. Also done same to the main earth cable from the left hand engine mount to the chassis.

Ive moved the main earth under the nose cone from the left hand brake union and bolted it direct to the chassis just in front of the left hand nose cone securing bracket.

I think the problem with the oil pressure guage is a faulty sensor so I have ordered a new one which should turn up today.

The only thing that i have not done is to re-route or change the location of the earths on the front wing stays for the indicator repeaters they are currently connected to the end of the stays with a pop rivet. Probably going to do this in next couple of days.

I don't have an opportunity to test drive it until Wednesday evening so I will update then.

Thanks for everyones help.

Hi Brebs,

I suffered very similar speedo symptoms on my 2008 R400D (see here). I was tearing my hair out (what's left of it) in sheer frustration. I suspected electrical gremlins in the loom, earthing problems, and so on. I discussed it all at length with James Gibson at CC, and was even considering a complete rewire. He suggested that, before I took any drastic and expensive action, I simply try replacing the speedo. He kindly supplied one, and I installed it, not really thinking that it would help at all (especially as the original had already been replaced under warranty). But it solved the problem completely. So, can I suggest that you ask CC to lend you a speedo and see what happens?

JV

For what it is worth, I had a similar problem recently with a Fiesta based kit car....

With the Engine Running, if I Pressed the Brake Pedal the Rev Counter dropped to zero and the the battery warning light (and others) came on....

Traced the problem to a faulty fuse connection

Have now also fitted the new oil pressure sensor and the guage for the oil pressure now working fine. When removing the old sensor I found the the black wire going into the connector was broken, the wires on the sensor are very thin! so if you find your OP guage going erratic and then just staying over to the far right thats probably what it is. The new sensor has much thicker wiring so I guess that this has been a problem in the past.

The other thing I did was to put a second earth cable from the right hand engine mount to the chassis, can't have enough earths in my opinion.

I have driven the car 50 or so miles since doing all this and fingers crossed the speedo has stayed steady as a rock. In the past if I wasn't getting the obvious speedo problem when indicating or braking I can always remember the speedo needle would move about 1mm to the left when first pressing the brake but that doesn't happen now it stays completely steady.

The car seems to be driving better as well, just smoother and more evenly!

So there you have it I think the problem is solved although I don't know what I did to solve it, i've listed everything so it was one or a combination of them.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and help.

Now can anyone help with the speeding ticket that came through the door yesterday from my holiday in France! 118km in a 110km limit! on a road they charged me to drive on! In a French hire car! 68 Euro's ☹️

Brebs

Quoting Brebs: 
Now can anyone help with the speeding ticket that came through the door yesterday from my holiday in France! 118km in a 110km limit! on a road they charged me to drive on! In a French hire car! 68 Euro's ☹️

I think you will find that's from the hire company - the French BiB can't chase you back to the UK. They can fine you on the spot only...

It it were me, I'd ignore it, unless you intend to use the hire company again... 😬