Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2.0 or 2.3 duratec

Just cams and throttle bodies should get you near your 220 bhp figure with a 2.0. Powertorque will sell you a tuner spec 2.0 engine for £1750 inc vat. The 2.3 will give you about 200 as it comes. Will the 2.3 go under the bonnet without having to fit a Raceline reduced height cam cover?

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 13 Apr 2012 21:37:48

I think the short answer is that it will depend on your style of driving. The 2.3 that I have in my CSR 260 has a really strong torque curve, and whilst it will rev to 7750, and easily too, it will, equally, drive fast and very nicely not exceeding 4500 -5500, and even drift along on a whiff of throttle at under 3krpm and pick up strongly for vital manoeuvres, such as overtaking, without having to drop a gear or two. I understand the 2.0 litre thrives on revs, though probably not as much as the older K series, but with less fear of grenading, as well as the dreaded head gasket probs.

All things being equal, I would probably plump for the driveability of the 2.3, but then again, I am becoming a bit of an old fart. 😔 *biggrin*

Paul.

Never tried a 2.3, but my 2.0 litre 175bhp Duratec Roadsport has bags of torque, pulling strongly from 1000 rpm in 5th if wanted, but equally revving strongly if you want to drop your boot in second and third gears.Of course it may be different with roller barrels and more bhp. Is fuel consumption of any interest in making your decision? - my SV does about 35 mpg.