Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Twin Cam engine

rj

The original Lotus twincam (as in this example) were 1558cc, based on a 5 bearing Ford block, and capable up to about 1700cc in an advanced state of tune. The later Lotus twin cam, based on a Vauxhall/GM block, was 2 litre capacity.

Dunno about the car from those pictures. Only a handful of genuine Lotus S3 had a factory fitted twincam.

• Area Representative

Well the cylinder head is legit 😬

and although I've never studied the alloy bodied pre-litigation Westies, if that's what they look like I can see why Caterham got a bit peeved....

All the best

Richard

Looks like a gen S3 to me, it has the correct front suspension though it looks like it's been nickel plated. The engine bay with single diagonal looks correct as does the pedal box here (unlike mine!). The rear arches and roll bar are indeed wrong and judging by the dash it's had a resto in the 90's.... (ehh yeah like mine ;-)

But - it it a lotus? I'm not so sure - the chassis plate looks more early Caterham but at this distance from the camera difficult to tell as they were indeed similar to the Lotus style...

Engine - well who in their right mind would retain an old Anglia engine;-)

Edited with linkys...

Edited by - Neil66 on 23 Mar 2012 21:10:15

Elie

That could make sense as I have never seen those seats fitted before.

I think there in Holland was a minimum required with of the cockpit, which has also made Caterham to modify the chassis.

RJ, At some point in the 90's the gouvernement in NL has changed the rule in that it went from hip space to elbow space. that is the reason why the Donkervoord has a wider seat area. In fact Donkervoord took over a business that imported Caterhams in NL but it wasn't all 100% legal so together with a university they adapted the rear chassis to comply.

I've only seen a couple of pre-lit Westfield in the flesh, so I don't know if this is true for all of them, but the thing that stood out as being different from the Caterham was both had a square transmission tunnel. The car the OP linked to has the rounder Caterham style tunnel.