Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Conditioner Advice

RodW

Floowing recent starting probs (thanks to all who gave help) it seems that I need a battery conditioner. Searched on this site and came up with two -Optimate and Airflow. Rang Shadowfax engineering to order an Optimate to be greeted by a sales person genuinely trying to be helpful: "If it's for a car you need an Accumate." - But its a Seven and I think they are motorcycle batteries. - "But a car battery will need the bigger eyelets and the higher charging rate of the Accumate". - But I think the Seven owners who have bought one have bought the Optimate. - "The Optimate is for people with motorbikes and cars. The Accumate is for cars." etc. etc.

Advice/recommendations, please.

RGW

phone this no they will help they make the battery for caterham . they also make the conditioner they will tell you a local supplier they cost about £30.00 thats what we sell them for

Banner Batteries (GB) Ltd.

Units 7 & 8 Canal View Business Park

Wheelhouse Road, Towers Business Park, Rugeley

Staffordshire WS15 1UZ

Tel. (01889)57 11 00

Telefax (01889)57 73 42

e-mail: office.bgb@bannerbatteries.com

fred *eek*

Just to increase your confusion, I got excellent service and an Optimate3 from MDS Battery.

But then I've got a car with a bike engine... does that confuse matters more?!? 😬

No really, the Optimate is great so far. I wired in the fused flylead which comes with it so that it is accessible by the nearside front suspension (battery is located lying down in the bottom of the nose), so I just park up, plug it in, and forget about it. Cool.

Hope this helps

Moomin

www.megabird.co.uk

I use an optimate and think they're ideal for car's that aren't used that often or stored through Winter. I use a l'weight racing battery and a l'weight alternator and the optimate gives the battery what it needs when it's out of use i.e. It's connected to the battery all the time but doesn't over charge.

Home of BDR700

I use two.

One for a spare battery (for testing equipment and charging model car batteries) and the one that runs the CarCoon and has a built in charger.

Have to say, the cheap, small sized Draper one (about which I initially had some doubts) about works really well, & has done so all year. That 'spare' battery only sits on the bench with that unit attached so no alternator to 'whack' in a good charge.

Before anyone says I've got too much money if I have a spare batt I might add that it was given to me by my local garage from a three month old car that had been, err, 'modified' against another car. Slight crack at top of case so insurance job.

Hot glue gun sorted that out!!!!!!! 😬

• Leadership Team

I've used an Optimate since replacing the battery a couple of years ago. Works great, easy to wire to give a plug-in connection under the dash on the drivers side - too lazy to walk round! I'll let you know in a few years if it works........

If you're in need of a new battery, Fred's posting of Banner's address is the place to start - K-Series battery - £25 +vat. Bargain!

Stu.