Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High level brake light

TomB

*arrowup* On Friday I (or should I say SM25T *thumbup*) fitted the CBS 60 LED High Level Brake Light to my SV *cool*.

We (royal we) found 2 free spade connectors under the boot floor (off side corner) and made the connection there. Works perfectly.

I have ordered (and now cancelled) the H/L Brake Light sub-loom from CC, it's due in on 9th March at CC Dartford if you require one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LED clusters are FAR more effective than the strip lights, as they are shrouded. In bright sunlight, the strip lights are no more visible than your standard brake lights. In other words, you still can't see them!

The picture from John illustrates this nicely *thumbup*

Quoting ozzy: 
The LED clusters are FAR more effective than the strip lights, as they are shrouded. In bright sunlight, the strip lights are no more visible than your standard brake lights. In other words, you still can't see them!

The picture from John illustrates this nicely *thumbup*

The trouble with LED clusters or "rain lights" is (as has already been said) that they impair your rear vision in the mirror. They are too intense hence they will fail the MoT and are not E marked.

I only want my high level brake light to warn the following driver that I am braking, particularly when the standard brake lights fall below and out of said drivers line of sight ie. when pulling up at traffic lights.

That's why I went for the "strip" and fitted it beneath the roll bar which acts as a shade rather than the flat strip (Hella) LED lights that fit on the rear face of the roll bar and are rendered useless when the half hood is fitted.

If the output is equal to the standard brake lights and high and in the following drivers line of sight then it does the job.

I hate following some half wit with their fog light on when the weather is clear... I certainly would not wish to sit behind a 7 at traffic lights, (driver with his foot on the brake) with a rain light burning my eye balls

It's a warning device after all not a weapon.

I'm just simply pointing out what I've seen. I've followed many sevens over the past 8 years, which have the strip light. In my most humble opinion! on a sunny day, they are not that visible. Having been rear ended by a FWD a few years ago, because she didn't see my brake lights, I fitted something more prominent, as it was fairly obvious that the standard brake lights are so low, they are difficult to see. And don't get me started on the fashion now for the clear lenses, as they are even worse!

It is possible that some peoples LED clusters are too bright, as they are supposed to have a resistor in line, and I'm sure some people are unaware of this, until they burn out!

Never had a problem with an MOT test either.

Edited by - ozzy on 4 Mar 2012 22:05:37

Edited by - ozzy on 4 Mar 2012 22:30:53

I reckon a thread on fitting a third brake light to a Seven has got to be one of the most popular ever up for discussion. Hours of fun searching for the light that suits and the ways it can be wired in. I only hope CC never fit one as standard because there will be an equally popular thread on how to remove it 😬

Happy Days *wavey*

I fitted a cluster rain light but had a problem with it & forgot to refit the resistor which will burn out the LEDs ☹️

TBH I would rather people see the bright light than not, even if they do find it bright.

TBH it's no worse(in reverse IYSWIM) than zenon headlights in your rear view mirror when in the 7 & I have those fitted to my tin top 😳

Edited by - Cookie Monster on 6 Mar 2012 22:52:24

Quoting Cookie Monster: 
I fitted a cluster rain light but hasd a problem with it & forgot to refit the resistor which will burn out the LEDs ☹️

TBH I would ratrher people see the bright light than not even if they do find it bright.

TBH it's no worse(in reverse IYSWIM) than zenon headlights in your rear view mirror when in the 7 & I have those fitted to my tin top 😳

+1

Brake lights on a lot of new tin tops are getting pretty bright these days anyway & in any case, I'd rather be seen than worry about annoying someone for a few seconds... *thumbup*for the rain light

i have the CC one Longy and the mount is held in place by the centre boss that takes the thread of the 'wheel retaining spider'. you lift the wheel off and the light and carrier are left in place.

fil *wavey*

Quoting Stephen Long: 
Hi,

If you fit the Caterham high level brake kit What happens when you remove the spare wheel which you would do for a track day?

Longy

It stays put - being held in place by the nut that the spare wheel retention bolt goes through, and a pop rivet at the top. I am more than happy for you to inspect mine, and have a chat about installation, at the next Penn Meet.