Click here if you are having website access problems ×

garage floor paint

Stef

All advice seems to be not to paint a garage floor below 10 degrees.

I was planning to do this job at the weekend but it is likely to be nearer 0 than 10.

So, does that just mean it will take longer to dry or do I really need to wait until it is over 10 degrees?

thanks

a lot of modern paints tend to 'cure' rather than dry, i.e. its a chemical reaction taking place rather than solvent drying off. If its too cold the curing process may not happen quickly enough and it may never cure properly. Unless you're sure the paint will work when its cold I'd be inclined to wait until the weather warms up for a few days or you can get some warmth into the garage, especially as we're expecting frosts for the next few nights.

I purchased some epoxy based paint for my new garage floor before Christmas but like you I found out that I could not apply it in cold weather. I phoned the company for advice and they told me mine would not cure below 10C and actually recomended 15C. That is the floor temperature not the air temp so using a fan heater didn't seem a very good option. They did say they could supply a special low temperature version of the paint but I have decided to keep what I have.

I didn't want to take a chance on it not curing so I am waiting until the spring before I apply it. I suppose it will give the concrete longer to fully cure before the paint goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a concrete garage floor that has never been sealed and has fully dried. I'm going to seal it all, and paint the area the 7 lives on. (I am going to wait till it's warmer.) I'll then put old carpet under the 7.

Please could people recommend sealants and paints, and the best way of patching and filling defects before sealing?

Thanks

Jonathan

I used Watco epoxy on my floor and its been very good. If you do use it, or indeed any other product, don't bother to try and clean the roller to reuse it for a second coat. Just wrap it in newspaper, throw it away and use a new one, otherwise you end up with the most awful mess everywhere. Use cheap rollers from Wickes.

I really don't think its worth the effort for the sake of a two quid roller. If you get the stuff on anything its there for ever. After six years, the evidence it still in our utility room sink! Very nice shade of blue it is too 😬.

One other tip; get a a big paint mixer whisk from B&Q etc to go in your electric drill so that you mix it thoroughly. Don't even think about trying to do it by hand. You can use that again as the epoxy/paint sets hard on the blades.

I put it down in 2004 when we extended the old garage to double width, so its in its seventh year. It doesn't scratch as its far too hard for that. The only areas that will eventually need a touch-up are 1) where two floor sections were concreted separately and the joint has moved slightly and 2) where an old original section of floor surface has crumbled in a couple of small places showing a bit of loose sandy concrete underneath.

I have used concrete floor paint in the past, from Homebase I think, which was fine for a year or two but eventually wore through in places. Easy enough to recoat but a bit of a fag having to move everything out. The epoxy stuff, although a lot more expensive, should last pretty much forever if it goes onto a sound surface, bar dropping an engine or gearbox which might crack it I suppose.

Edited to add, re using the roller again, surely the epoxy cures on the roller at the same rate as the floor so will be rock-hard when its time to re-use it for a second coat. My comment related to cleaningthe roller so it can be reused, rather than just covering it up as you might with normal air drying paint. Either way, whatever works for you *wavey*

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 3 Feb 2012 10:41:35

Alan

Mine's 8.5 x 4.5m so about the same area as yours although I have a pit so you can deduct a couple of square metres of painted area.

I used 3 x 5 litre cans but didn't seal it first. Maybe I should have but, as the concrete was mostly new and sound (apart from as noted in earlier post), I decided not to bother. I don't know whether sealing it would save any material as I don't think it soaks in in the same way as normal paint will.

I would definitely talk to Watco for their advice before ordering. They are (or were) in Godalming so I went over to see them and they were extremely helpful. In fact I over ordered (total 4 cans) and they took the unopened can back with a full credit which was very helpful as you don't want to run out towards the end of the job.

Nice job for a warm, dry, still day as you want the doors open and not have leaves and crap blowing in. Make sure you shut the dogs and cats in while it cures as they can be very inquisitive *mad*

I chose blue as I've found it easy to see nuts and washers that have been dropped.

Paul

Well that again sounds impressive.

Neil I have been talking to a floor manufacturer and thinking of trying to get a deal for the members without having to take the whole lot on and distribute etc. I love the idea but find its a step to far to pay that much out at the moment.

Whatever way you cut it though its expensive albeit a great way to finish of the garage and cleanability etc

Pauls solution / product seems far better than I could have envisaged so the spring is going to see me go Blue ( paint )

I see those are rather expensive... so how about these then??

A shade over £9/m² as a pose to around £40...

Anti-fatigue so I would think these may be little soft for jacking / axle stands, but worth a look-see..?

I've used something similar (but much softer & more open design) offshore on oil installations and they're wonderful to stand on all day rather than cold hard steel!!

Seriously cheaper. I have loose soft type material right now , oblong mats that were great during build and provided I put ply under the jack etc they have survived . But they do stretch a bit and didnt have squared of corners!

I dont quite see how these tiles join, take the yellow bits of?

Whatever me thinks the paint is coming

Yep - the yellow bits are just the edging to give you an inclined ramp which hopefully you notice, rather than a grey sharp edge, which you wont see, and you will trip on...

I've seen these tiles or something very similar down the local gym with a much more shallow and self coloured edge if the yellow is too obnoxious ;-)

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all the advice.

I sealed the floor where the 7 lives with Firlex 94 single pack epoxy gloss, and the rest of the garage with Firwood 299 concrete floor seal. Both bought by mail order from Firwood.

Online order and delivery were efficient.

Floor seal was excellent.

Epoxy paint was good but I should have followed their instructions to thin the first coat. Surface is OK and the Vespa's kick stand doesn't seem to make any impression on it.

Jonathan