Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heated windscreen ..vertical filaments?

Fil M

Having used the car in the wet this week and used the screen de mister I wondered if there is a technical reason the heating filaments run vertical and not horizontal? If they ran horizontal they would demist more efficiently and not create persistent stripes of mist. Does anyone know why they were made this way? Should Caterham look at improving them?

Fil *wavey*

Should Caterham look at improving them?

Hi Fil,

CC have been supplying cars fitted with components with known faults for at least the last five years, to my knowledge, and when challenged they act like it's news to them.

(diffs/radiators and wheels with flaking paint; to name just three)

The chances of them improving a component that works perfectly well (although as you say, perhaps, could be better?) are less than zero.

BTW Fil are you going to the Solent Se7ens this afternoon? Details

here.

Be lucky!!

Martin

Edited by - weeman on 30 Dec 2011 10:47:31

Thanks for the tip Martin ..and..I had intended going but my visiting sister and father left far slower than they arived.

I have found no trouble heating up a long length evenly Bob so cant be sure why they can't .Horizontal is favourite when things get damp n clammy. Vertical is OK provided youve got a rag handy.

Cheeeeeeeeeers *cool*

Fil *wavey*

Edited by - Fil M on 30 Dec 2011 15:22:59

Ford own the patent on the heated screen, and the screens are produced to the design set out by them in that patent. The screens are produced under license from Ford for Caterham by a number of manufacturers.

Go shout at Ford for this one.

• Area Representative

Quoting jj48: 
All the rear heated screen bars that i have seen are horizontal so don't know why front ones are vertical? Richard

True - it's one of life's little mysteries (like theatrical finances)

Quoting "Shakespeare in Love": 
Philip Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.

Hugh Fennyman: So what do we do?

Philip Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.

Hugh Fennyman: How?

Philip Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery.

Quoting jj48: 
All the rear heated screen bars that i have seen are horizontal so don't know why front ones are vertical?

Richard

It may have something to do with the fact the human eye is more sensitive to vertical resolution; in other words it can resolve finer horizontal lines than vertical ones.

So making the front screen elements vertical means they are less likely to be noticed and be a distraction.

Hi Ian-re the lines being horizontal i was informed by a very good painter/decorator that the top decorators put the wallpaper on to the wall horizontally as the naked eye finds it harder to follow the joining lines around the wall . Mind you, he might have been having a bird bath!!

Richard

are you sure the decorator did not say put the lining paper on Horizontally, which is what pro decortor will do, prior to hanging the paper vertically , I can imagine all sorts of problems trying to hang the actual wall paper horizontally, doors, windows, cutting in to skirts, Handling, etc etc

Tim