Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dremels

Paul Deslandes

Used my Dremmel this afternoon. Just fitted a new Ford ear lever gaiter to the tunnel top and offered it up. Too stiff and stops the 4 speed engaging properly. on examination there is a 10mm raised ring on the underside. Used a 9mm Stanley knife to cut the majority of excess rubber (synthetic) away. Used a pear shaped sanding stone attachment to smooth off the remainder. Now the ring is as flat and smooth as the rest of the gaiter. Fingers crossed that when I offer it up the gear selection will have improved - I don't want to revert to the original.

The Dremmel has a cord. If I needed to get into a small space I have a flexible extension that fits to the chuck. So the cord doesn't get in the way. I used it extensively when remodeling the instrument panel of my glider a few years ago. My son has started using it for fine drilling and pinning of his Warhammer models.

I've got an 800 model 10.8v cordless and it's great. I used it yesterday to shorten some bolts and the thin cutting disc goes through the metal like butter. The battery lasts very well but I rarely have to go above 4 out of 10 on the speed control.

I'm sure everyone here wears eye protection when operating these tools but I recently heard a story from an HSE inspector where someone had lost an eye while using one, while modifying hiking boots for fit in an 'outdoors' type shop, using a procedure which had been done many many times before the cutting disc had detached jumped out of the shoe/boot and into the operators eye resulting in its loss, if safety specs had been worn the operator would have been safe.

The copies and their accessories are a lot cheaper and the accessories certainly are just as good.

I bought mine for a specific job on the Elise, I think something to do with a broken alternator support bracket. I bought the kit with the flexible extension, and it was the only way to access the job, whatever it was exactly.....mine is the mains version.

I'd been told by a friend that his battery one was rubbish....but this was back in 2000, maybe they have been improved.

wrtt fragile cutting disks, you can get reinforced ones which I now use for most jobs. They're considerably stronger (safer) but take longer to cut. Sometimes the thin disks are the only ones that are suitable.

Ric *arrowup*

Same happened to me, i ended up in moorfields eye hosp to get mine out, they scrapped the eye due to rust around metal spli ter forming. ☹️

Most horrible thing ever, i wear googles even for wiping my ass now 🙆🏻 😬

Zetec, same thing for me. It had only been in a few hours but had rusted already. She was scraping it with a wooden pick of some description.

The only good part was she was asking to look forward, look down, look forward, look down as she did it. She was 🥰 and my gaze was alternating from her fabulous eyes to her enormous rack and back. *thumbup*

one of the very few advantages to being a speccy 4 eyes

I've always thought the same, but these days for anything close up I have to look over the top of my glasses, and I keep forgetting that this won't give me any protection! Fortunately the worst I've had so far is some brake cleaner in the eye.

Reading all this makes me want a dremel 😬 (And some goggles).

I wish I'd been wearing goggles in the Carling Academy in Bristol when someone got me in the eye with a burning cigarette *eek* I thought it was a glowstick that hit me (I'd had a few) but the semi circle burn on my eyelid and lack of lashes said otherwise. I'd been quite lucky it was only ash that got on the eye itself! Obviously didn't go to ric's eye hospital... I got a gorilla *rolleyes*