Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No Reverse

Pat the Plumber

Pat

As per SM25T, the quickshift gearlever mechanism is easy to remove.

The lever passes through a spherical bearing and there is a spring in the bottom of the gearstick which controls the reverse push-down. Possibly could do with a clean up.

Not heard of the stick not pushing down before. Usual problem with spherical bearing is the chrome plating breaks up and it seizes preventing easy side to side across Neutral.

Anyway, worth an hour to pull it all out and have a good look at it.

Cheers

Peter

• 5 months later...

Take yer time Pat!

If you leave it same time again before your next post, the blatting summer will be over!

Does the lever move relative to the housing cover/spherical brg compressing the spring with it all in bits?

It sounds from your description as if something is seized.

Peter

Well it's no excuse not to go out blatting anyway.

My Westie BEC has no reverse - and weighs (with full cage, two seats etc.) virtually the same as my k-series Caterham - and I've only ever once had to enlist the help of passers-by to 'reverse' the Westie (stupid mistake - parked downhill next to a junction - so left the car close in to the car in front. Came back to find car in front was still there - and the hill was steep enough that I had no chance of pushing the car back up to clear it!) *redface*

Mebbe the vibration of a good blat will free it up! *tongue*

I took my gear lever apart today as i was having to use two hand to engage reverse

the bearing was fine but dry, just caught it in time regreased and refitted now works great

Thanks John (moca2cv) for the pictures and info on your website they were a great help *thumbup*

Nigel

took it apart.....again. SPC is just round the corner (3 minutes), he stripped it down and it was a stubborn little thing, cleaned up degreased and and back together, it's never felt so good.

Steve also gave me a little plastic clip that he said goes between the lever and the gearbox, it didn't fit, so i put it all back together again and it all seems too sloppy now.

Can anybody give any more information regarding this plastic clip, or have i just got the incorrect size. Or indeed does it need this.

Will ask Steve again when they are open, but thought i would ask here first *eek*

The saddle clip is listed on the Caterham Parts website as being for both the 5-speed and 6-speed boxes. Check that you are fitting it the right way. I knew I'd fit it the wrong way round so I took a reference picture of my Type 9 box just in case.

http://images115.fotki.com/v607/photos/8/42688/7812053/DSCF1366-vi.jpg