Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Filler Plug?

Alexander Gurr

Guys,

I am in the throws of getting the old girl ready for her first fire up and need to fill the gearbox (standard 5 speed). I just want to check the filler plug location....the manual is very vague. Is it drivers side next to the lowest cutout in the transmission tunnel?

Cheers,

Alex

It is almost impossible to see from under the car, there is a lip on the gearbox and it is just above that, you need a friend with thin fingers who doesn't mind the taste of gearbox oil to help *wink*

Does this help you locate it?

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/49646/1089320959048831359S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by - Grubbster on 15 Oct 2011 17:35:51

Alex, it's on the passenger side, near the front, roughly where the passenger's feet are, above a lip at the bottom of the gearbox.

Mine is also a new delivery, and it had a square socket that kind of took a 3/8" drive when the gearbox was out. I couldn't get the driver in alongside the gearbox when it was installed in the transmission tunnel though, so mine is just finger tight at the moment. If you find a way to tighten it, do let me know.

Thanks guys.

I found it, ground down a allen key and got it out. I have just spent the last couple of hours with a contraption Heath Robinson would be proud of to fill the gearbox up. I got lord knows how much oil in the gearbox and a very good quantity on the floor. I am guessing I probably got about a litre in, but really am not sure. When it goes in for its post build inspection I will get Caterham to check it as I am really paranoid about having enough in there *thumbup*

Easiest filling tool I know (credit goes to Weeman for this) of is about 18" of copper plumbing pipe with a 90 degree bend soldered on with just a short piece of pipe in the other side - you can manoeuver the short end into the gearbox from above, then stick a funnel in and fill it! No easy way to get the filler plug in afterwards though.

If you ever have the cover removed for any reason in the future, I recommend this mod: welding a O2 bung into the front left corner of the cover:

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn384/BBL-Sean/7%20Build%20Issues/Gboxtop1.jpg

Oh, and the filler plug is on the driver's side of my car (LHD). *tongue*