Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Securing rear wings...what other method than rivets?

Alexander Gurr

I am getting to the stage where I need to secure my rear wings to the car and given that it is going to be an Academy car I was wondering whether rivets are really the best way, or whether there is another way of securing them that wont damage the ali side skin should it gat a tap. Does anyone know of another method or should I just stick with the rivets?

Cheers,

Alex

I didn't use rivets, but nylon bolts, either into rivnuts (where access is difficult or blind), or into stainless nuts behind panels.

That way the bolt rips and not the panel.

Top Tip... use am open ended spannewr to tighten nylon bolts. A socket will round off the head very quickly.

Good luck... Andy

The "Trev Newman" school of thought says to bolt your racing wings on as solidly as possible. Then when you hit someone (not that Trev ever did that ... much) their wing comes off and yours stays in place.

Might not work in the Academy, though, as lots of people won't have figured out the plastic bolt trick.

One other thing - if you're going for "easily removable", make sure you the rear light connector is outside the car, and file off the tag that keeps it together. Then it'll just pull apart when the wing comes off. Otherwise, it'll rip all the wires out which makes it much more of a pain to reconnect.

Unrelated though crossed my mind - do Sigmas have an inertia cut-out switch? I would strongly recommend removing that, if they do.

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Unrelated though crossed my mind - do Sigmas have an inertia cut-out switch? I would strongly recommend removing that, if they do.

Yes they do but I'm not sure removing it is a good idea - I've seen a few Caterhams on their roof in the last year and they're supposed to help in this situation... However, I agree that they're a pain if they 'trip' going over a curb...

Better to relocate it so you can press it and get going again if it does cut the engine. I have mine on the transmission tunnel beside the gear stick in case that happens.

Just looking at your blog - for the seats - get the bolts welded into the runners!!!!

On your old car - I took the seats off once, doing it the old way with screwdrivers wedged into the runners to hold the top of the nut whilst undoing underneath....took an entire day!!

next time I got the bolts welded in for £20 - seat just drops into the 4 holes, and you just do up the nuts underneath...a 5 minute job!

Best £20 I ever spent.

Dumb question, but if we glue the front wings on and they never fall off, why not glue on the rears? It doesn't need to be a continuous line of glue, just regular blobs IMO. Maybe use a couple of the bolts whilst the glue is curing.

And on the subject of fitting rear wings, there must be a better solution to the fiddly little plastic trim strip that goes between the wing and body. Mine never sits "comfortably" despite plenty of notches to help it bend. I'd also like to know why Caterham sell this stuff in lengths way too long for one wing, just too short for two?

Mike

Griff

The reason to allow the rear wings to be "knocked off" is to avoid further bodywork damage in the event of them being hit on a race track.

Regarding your question about alternatives to the nasty plastic beading....

I have sealed my wings with Bond-It HA6 Marine Silicone Sealer. HA6

This looks very tidy indeed. There is a simple convex beading smmothly joining the wing to the skin.

Pros:

Looks very neat

Easy to clean

No water "leakage" from behind the wing

Does not trap grit/dust and grind the paint off

Duarable and cleanable surface, reponds well to polish/wax products

Cons:

Difficult to apply to high standard of visual acceptability (harder than sealing a bath due to having to follow a curve and the gap is not even all teh way around)

Non-conformist (I have yet to see another 7 using thsi method, although a few people have commented on its neat look and asked what product was used)

Makes remove/refit of wing more than a 10 minute job (Easy to cut off using a cheesewire approach, but cleaning off all the residual sealer to start afresh is time consuming. I have yet to have reason to remove them in 3 years since sealed. A racer would want to be able to change wings in the shortest time possible)

Whilst on the subject of beading, I have also eradicated the beading on the inner skins. Wow - why bother fitting this low quality stuff? The inner skins look so much neater. There is no sharp edge and the ali can be dressed down to perfectly close off any gaps. It is also lighter.

Maybe you can try the HA6 method.

Cheers

Peter

But surely the same is true of front and rear wings? Many of us use Sikaflex or similar (I use Tiger Seal) to hold on the fronts and they stay put really well. So I wondered why the same wasn't true for the rears, perhaps doing "dot and dab" to avoid making the joint too strong? Of course any remaining small gap after bonding could be filled with a good silicon - time to call round my plumber as he did a neat job of siliconing in the shower door. Or is Sikaflex a lot stronger than nylon bolts?

Griff

Sorry, just in case i did not make myself clear:

I sealed the gap with the silicone. (as on would seal a bath)

The wings are held in place with the nylon M5s. If they got whalloped, the rivnuts will not rip out the ali sideskins and I think teh silicone would pull apart ( it is not a structural adhesive)

They are not glued on completely with the silicone.

Re the fronts, they are less frequently "removed" by other competitors. When they are, teh consequences are less severe because there is no ali skin to get ripped.

Peter

Thanks Peter, yes I'd understood about the sealer. My rear wings are presently fitted with nylon bolts (though I only track the car, not race). However the car was raced before and still has the remains of some panel damage to the O/S/R quarter just aft of the wing despite nylon bolts. I'm hoping to get this fixed over the winter but the rear panel is peppered with holes and rivnuts so aligning wing bolts is a real pain, hence wondering if anybody out there has tried the Sikaflex route on the back? I'm wondering if it's strong enough or maybe too strong and a likely cause of worse damage in an "incident".

Cheers,

Mike (Griff)

There are many types of Sikaflex - it is a brand so I expect they'd have something you could use. Sika 292 is what I use to fit bigheads to front wings, very strong with some flex in it - it is used to bond bits of yacht hulls together! I recon that if you used it to bond on a rear wing it would be far far stronger than plastic bolts would so maybe not a good idea.