Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sigma 150 engine set-up instructions

slap_ed

Hi all,

I have a Sigma 150 that pinks under load, mainly in top gear. The only thing I have adjusted some months ago was the tickover speed, which was quite low and made steady driving very difficult. Now that I've upped it to around 1000 rpm it has made this situation better but at the expence of pinking.

I have read on here that I more than likely need to ...

a, Balance the throttle bodies. (Does anyone know who makes these TB's, which synchrometer to buy and what air flow rate should they be?)

b, Set the TPS voltage/ohms. (Not sure which)

A couple of posts talk about a measurement in ohms and so assume that the TPS is unplugged and the measurement taken on terminals 1 and 2 OR

Another post talks about a voltage measurement. If this method is correct then I assume it's a case of prodding the wires with a tester with the engine at tickover and hot)

c, Re-set the ECU. Not sure how this is done except just to disconnect the battery for 5 mins maybe?

My main reason for posting is, does anybody have a copy of the Sigma 150 engine set-up instrustions talked about in various posts (obtained from Sean at CC). I have emailed Macca99 who talked in his post about these set-up instructions, but as of yet he hasn't got back to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham

What petrol are you using? In the past I have used some cheap supermarket unleaded & the engine pinked so badly (125 sigma) it sounded like a sack of spanners. It is much happier on super unleaded, shell if possible *thumbup*

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 6 Oct 2011 20:54:36

Hi Jason,

I don't like the idea of spending that sort of money. I'm hoping that with the correct tools and the correct set-up procedure I'll manage to tweak and sort it myself.

Hi Martin,

Good idea, I'll try some better quality fuel (always tend to use Asda or Sainsbury's)

Thanks for that.

I'm still hoping that someone has this official set-up procedure.

Cheers guys

Graham

I've found that my tintops don't get on with supermarket petrol and won't use anything but shell now (unless I can't find a shell, in which case I go BP, Texaco and eventually Esso if I'm desperate).

Try some Shell super for a couple of tanks, as that will be a lot cheaper than £500.

Jez

Hi Brian,

Thanks for doing that, it's appreciated.

"p.s. i've got 120bhp at the back wheels, thats scary, nearly as quick as the Elise!!!!"

Your p.s. has gone way over my head, I think it must have been aimed at someone else.

Cheers

Graham

I also had problem with slow tick over on my 150. Discovered from guys at Caterham mids that adjusting the screws is not the solution. You need to make the adjustments with a laptop. They did it for me. It took about 5 mins and that transformed the drivability of the car.

PeterC