Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reluctant fog light

simon metcalfe

Hi,

having trouble getting the rear fog light to work - Im pretty sure the switch was faulty so have replaced that but replaced the light unit too just in case. When connecting the new switch i heard one of the fuses blow - a 5a one - also now replaced - but still no joy.

There is only one way to connect the switch to the pin connections so I have this correct. However, there are two spade connections on either side of the switch - and 2 wires - a black and a red one which look like they are for these connections - however, I'm sure only one of these was connected to the swich before - If I connect them both now then the switch light (normally to indicate it's on) is permenantly on. Should I be using both these wires? Whatever combination I try the fog light itself won't come on now. Pretty sure the earth on the light unit is ok - cleaned with a wire brush before reconnecting. Any ideas / pointers as to where Im going wrong or what else I can check to get it working please? *confused*Regards Simon.

Fog wiring often earths to the back panel. That earth doesn't last long (steel plus ally). Is your number plate light also affected? They often use the same earth. You need to run a proper earth back there should this be the problem 😔

Hi Simon *wavey*,

I'm sure you've already worked this out but the two spade connections are connected to the red and black wire. This is to illuminate the switch when dark, so comes on when you turn your side lights on. You should find that when you switch on your fog light, a panel on the top edge of the rocker switch ( normally hidden when the switch is off) becomes illuminated. This is just the switch light shining through top of the switch to tell you the fog light is on. Crude but effective.

Hope that helps,

Giles

• Area Representative

Quoting Matthew Willoughby: 
I think the fog light may only work if the headlights are dipped and will not work with them on main beam.

*confused* *confused* *confused*

Rear guard light (to give it the proper name) should work on dipped and full headlights.

Paul It is now allowed for Rear Guard light to be on with dip and main, but we older folk remember when many cars switched of Rear Guard light when Main beam selected, It may even have legislative in the 70s and 80s. I think the idea was that if conditions were clear enough for Main Beam then rear fog was superflous, some cars even had a latching relay so once rear guard was switched of by main beam selection it could only be switched back on by flicking the guard light switch, might be a good idea today, stop numpties driving with guard light on permanently 😬

Tim

• Area Representative

Quoting tbird: 
Paul It is now allowed for Rear Guard light to be on with dip and main, but we older folk remember when many cars switched of Rear Guard light when Main beam selected, It may even have legislative in the 70s and 80s. I think the idea was that if conditions were clear enough for Main Beam then rear fog was superflous, some cars even had a latching relay so once rear guard was switched of by main beam selection it could only be switched back on by flicking the guard light switch, might be a good idea today, stop numpties driving with guard light on permanently 😬

Tim

Thanks Tim - you live and learn (and I'm officially one of the older folk). *thumbup*