Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX TB's QED DTH

GordonW

I'm considering the QED DTH bodies as among all the other well discussed reasons they do away with the restrictive manifold but I'm wondering since these TB's are straight do they need a curved adapter/spacer to get them to anything like the right position (ie manifold substitute) for a filter to stick out of the bonnet .....can the community wisdom advise of this and any other installation issues to be prepared for please particularly choice of filter/backplate or airbox?

some time ago Dave Walker did some back to back tests with a curved inlet manifold and TBs against the straight DTH TBs, the TBs with the curved manifold made more power and torque as I recall. It might be worth trying to get a copy of the article to see whether it throws more light on the subject.

Oily

If you (or anyone else who'd like a copy) blatmail me your email address I can send you a copy of the CCC article that Oily refers to as I scanned it some years ago.

If you have the standard Vx carburettor bonnet cutout you'll have to modify the hole whatever TBs/filter arrangement you have as the standard chokes are horizontal by virtue of the curved manifold and the sausage filters are a lot larger than the original KNs. The DTHTBs will be at the head inlet flange angle which will result in a bonnet hole, similar to other 'straight shot' induction systems, e.g. SBD tapered throttles.

One thing to bear in mind is the length of inlet tract required for mid range performance. As you will see from the article, air trumpet length has a significant effect on the revs at which peak torque occurs, as you would expect. The lack of manifold length will mean you will need to increase the length of the trumpets to compensate.

Paul

Paul, I'll drop you a line in a moment to get a copy of that article, as it sounds interesting and I don't think I've seen it before. As you say, induction/inlet tract length is very important and has a major effect on the shape of the curves. Emerald/Dave Walker have a new product coming out soon to make changing induction lengths easier, but I'm not sure if it's all public knowledge just yet.

that really is very odd. I've replied to a number of others who seem to have received it ok. I replied to your email address so it shouldn't matter about blatchat rules re attachments. I can only assume your ISP doesn't like my email address for some reason.

Anyway, so long as you can download it from Mankee's site you'll get it ok.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but there's no point starting a new one when this one has some really useful links in already.

I'm looking at the benefits of changing from Weber 48s to fuel injection on my VX engine and I'd be grateful for any comments or observations on the pros and cons of doing so.

I emailed Northampton Motors for their recommendations, as they did the work on the engine for the previous owner, and Troy mentioned the OMEX kit as a cost effective option (cost effective being a subjective term when there's a a number of extra costs involved when converting from carbs to injection).

Thanks,

Simon