Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Burnt out at Yalding Bridge

steve m

Not a Q plate. It was a real Caterham, Andy Noble's 1989 Class C car, subsequently raced my me for about 10 years. After 20 years of marshalling the biggest fire I've had to put out is my own car. After today Tim Neill has the only Caterham in the Brands Hatch marshals carpark. Nice working with you today Tim.

The car is no doubt repairable, but the cost of doing so will be prohibitive. It happened opposite a pub full of drunken Pikeys one of whom took it upon himself to walk on the bonnet. Unfortunately it did not reignite at that moment. As decking a Pikey with a fire extinguisher is no doubt classified as racially aggravated GHB the **** was able to drove himself home about 15 minutes later.

Fuel leak judging by the smell just before it went up. I was going to pull over and investigate once I got to the other side of the one lane bridge but got caught by the red light. It went up seconds after I stopped.

Wearing a full face helmet and proban overalls paid off for once. Fortunately I refused to put a full roll cage on the car when I still racing it having seen too many fires at race tracks in the 60's and 70s.

Scary stuff *eek* Main thing is you are unharmed. Sorry the car may be a total loss, especially after you have owned it all those years. The pub you were forced to stop by (The Anchor) does seem to attract some dodgy types, best avoided!

Only just checked BC and saw your post.

What a terrible shame and a sad end to a great weekend working together, but I'm so relieved to hear that you're OK. Good job you were dressed up. Tim

Edited by - TimNeill on 8 Jul 2011 09:31:35

Hi Tim. I have received confirmation that the car is a total loss. No surprise there. I'm now waiting for the settlement offer. SHMBO said why don't you get something else? There are a few cars I would like, 250GTO, 246 Dino, 911 (early model), E-type. None of them remotely affordable. I'll be looking to see what sort of 7 I can afford over the next few months. I can't face being restricted to driving a Honda for long.