Click here if you are having website access problems ×

source of the original ZF LSD

sopris

I'm curious as to the source of the original plate type ZF LSD used in the 90s before introduction of the AP Suretrac. Everything I've read suggests the Sierra only had a viscous LSD with the introduction of the XR4x4. Was this diff with its ZF LSD ever a factory fit in a ford or was it a special build for Caterham?

• 10 months later...

Quoting Jason Fletcher: 
It was special build for Caterham and they have not been made for years. People seem to use the Titan now. I bought a ZF on EBay last week so they do pop up now and again.

Jason

Jason, how did your ZF diff perform? Was it much cheaper than the more recent alternatives?

There is a LSD diff on ebay at the moment reportedly from a Granada. Could it be true that the Granada had a LSD?

When I spoke to Phil Stewart at Road and Race recently about sorting out the stupidly high preload of my ZF, he might have mentioned a rare Scandanavian Sierra equipped with a ZF or something similarly exotic like that. Do ZFs fetch much money nowadays? I need to throw a few quid at mine to have it set up to suit a Caterham and I certainly can't justify a Titan.