Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slight refueling problem!

mattmurdock

Having successfully refueled at the weekend at a Texaco garage in the Midlands and driven my new SV back to Bristol, I now appear to be struggling to find a petrol station in Bristol that actually has a nozzle that will fit into the fuel tank. They seem to be at a funny angle.

Could any Bristol based peeps suggest a suitable fuel station?

Matt, just try something before you get the angle grinder out. A standard unleaded nozzle has a narrow, straight nozzle then a flange where the nozzle gets much wider then bends down towards the handle. The narrow section has to operate the flap in the filler. Most of the flange bit catch on the edge of the aero filler if you try to put the nozzle in straight.

However, if you hold the pump handle "gansta style", i.e. at a 90 degree angle, they usually slide in just fine, then you can let the gun drop down to vertical again while you fill up.

Took me a while to work that out, and the aero filler used to be much worse and even this trick would not have helped. Many people on here haven't used the improved version, so still quote the old solution verbatim (usually invlolving violence with hammers, chisels, Dremels,etc).

Yep - that's about how I fill up too. I thought I had removed the flap, but on inspection, it's still there, 10yrs after build and lots of fill-ups all over Europe. Doesn't like mega-fast pumps, but I think that's the bend in the hose to the tank.

Bri

May I respectfully suggest that YOU DO NOT remove the little flap. That is there to stop fuel pouring out when the car is upside down!

Caterham had a batch of fuel inlets with a manufacturing fault. Although they look identical to ones with the correct dimensions their dia is slightly too small. Speak to Sean at Caterham Dartford and get a (free) replacement.

I had this problem with my Roadsport kit last year. The correct filler solved the problem, although it is still a slightly jiggly fit.

PeterC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt

How are you getting on with your refuelling?

I'm due to pick up a new car from Caterham Midlands in a few days and I have had concerns since I read your post.

I haven't had a Caterham for 10 years and there wasn't a problem with my previous one. I presume the pumps have changed since.

Clive.

May I respectfully suggest that YOU DO NOT remove the little flap. That is there to stop fuel pouring out when the car is upside down!

It's totally useless at doing that as I proved when I removed mine and stuck it under a running tap - the water passed the flap with ease so it would not stop fuel. The reason being the flap is in a cylinder within the fuel pipe and secured by three spot welds. Between the welds there is a large gap past which the fuel can flow.

Still wouldn't recomend butchering the filler neck. If you have the latest version from Caterham, this will allow all petrol pump nozzles to fit. The hammer and chisel solution is not approved by Caterham and my experience a year ago was that they replaced the offending article FOC no questions asked!

Problem solved

PeterC

If your rear-ended as I was then neither method is much good as the filler pipe will be chopped in two by the boot floor and the fuel tank crushed which will result in the fuel spraying everywhere! Needs an armoured pipe IMO.

Quoting Clive Faulkner: 
Hi Matt

How are you getting on with your refuelling?

I'm due to pick up a new car from Caterham Midlands in a few days and I have had concerns since I read your post.

I haven't had a Caterham for 10 years and there wasn't a problem with my previous one. I presume the pumps have changed since.

Clive.

Hi Clive, at the moment I have avoided any major rejigging by carrying a petrol can filler tube as per a previous suggestion. Unfortunately in my local area I still haven't managed to find a petrol station that uses the smaller filler nozzle. The closest garage I have found is the one up the road from Castle Combe :).

So it does seem that most of the major franchise stations are now using a bigger nozzle, at least in the Southwest.

Hi Matt

Thanks for the response. I agree with you that the easiest of the solutions appears to be the fuel can spout and I'm armed ready just in case.

I can't tell from the different responses whether the problem is a random one with a bad batch or whether it's a problem with all fillers. If it's the latter then Caterham should address it post haste.

Anyway, forewarned is forearmed and I shall have the trusty spout available!

Clive.

Hi,

I picked up my new build Roadsport 150 with Aerocap in Jan 2011. It had the restrictor in, found that none of the pumps on the motorway stations on the M4 would fit. After running on vapour eventually stopped at Newbury & ended up buying a can & decanting repeatedly on the forecourt. Did tarnish the first drive a bit & caused a bit of sphinter puckering.

First job when I got home was grinding away the offending article, best thing I've done & nice easy introduction to the hands on type of ownership I have a feeling a 7 needs.

Andy