Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rivnuts for scuttle attachment

Dave McCulloch

I need to remove my scuttle panel soon, and would like to use rivnuts to reattach the scuttle to the vertical panel in the engine bay.

What type and size of rivnuts should I be using? I'm guessing aluminium and 4mm? And where's the best place to get them from.

How do I avoid a gap between the scuttle and vertical panel from the rivnut head? And finally I read on a post on here about using some sort of rubber washer to avoid the scuttle rattling - what type of washer is this and again where's the best place to get them from?

Thanks

Dave

• Area Representative

I'm thinking about doing this, but having a gap to accommodate the rivnuts is putting me off. I purchased countersunk rivnuts, but there will still be a gap. I don't want to use silicon.

I am tempted just to go back to pop rivets, as they were surprisingly quick to remove.

Leave the scuttle and vertical panel connected and remove both together. Saves touching all those rivets and/or replacing them with rivnuts.

Just need to remove anything fixed to/through the panel which will include those around the steering column.

Also stops the scuttle flexing loads when off.

• Area Representative

Just need to remove anything fixed to/through the panel which will include those around the steering column.

Removing steering column, wiring loom!!!!!!, washer tube, speedo cable, heater control, inertia switch, power feed leads etc. Then reapplying silicon to seal!! That sounds like hours of work compared with 10 mins drilling out pop rivets.

I've decided I'll stick with the rivets.

Paul,

Steering column doesn't need to be removed nor does the wiring loom. Vertical Panel (VP) has a slot which goes over the steering column. No cables pass through the VP on my car (not built by me). Most everything else is attached using3M dual lock. No heater and no sillycone sealant. So for some the first removal may be a more lengthy exercise but if put back right it takes just 10 minutes to remove in the future 😬.

• Area Representative

Steve

Clearly our cars are very different.To be fair it's not the main wiring loom that goes through the panel, but plenty of other bits like speedo cable, oil pressure gauge pipe etc. not to mention immobiliser, fuse box and various other bits fixed to the panel.

OK, thanks guys. My car has also has a fair few things bolted to, or going through the vertical panel, so I really don't want to be having to remove that with the scuttle.

So as for source of rivnuts, I assume Caterham is as good as anywhere for the (fairly) flush fitting ones? (as the website Bob linked to looks like a US site).

Jason - thanks for the recommendation for the rivnut tool - I'll get myself one of those.

Cheers

Dave

• Leadership Team

M4 rivnuts need a hole of around 6.5mm so I came up with an alternative solution .....

- Make up a curved strip of ally the same shape as the edge of the bulkhead panel, around 15mm wide (I happened to have the old bulkhead when I renewed it so cheated a little 😬)

- Into this fit the 24 x M4 rivnuts.

- Silicone/Sikaflex this to the rear of the existing bulkhead, lining up using M4 bolts through the original bulkhead holes and into the new ally strip.

- Job done, rivnuts fitted, no flanges, no drilling out the bulkhead *thumbup*

Stu.

What do people do with a battery master switch fitted ? (In the normal place inside the windscreen stantion).

Has anyone got a neat solution that avoids having to disconnect and unbolt it each time you want to remove the scuttle ?

Angus

I can remove my scuttle in 10 minutes with the backplate still riveted to it. Unbolt heater (but leave it in place), remove bolts holding steering bush, fusebox, immobiliser, disconnect inertia switch and windscreen wires, remove 2 poppers on the top, drill out 2 rivets on the sides, undo heater control cable at heater, unbolt scuttle and lift away. It really is easy, I wouldn't fancy drilling out all those rivets and putting rivnuts back in *confused*

Quoting Angus: 

What do people do with a battery master switch fitted ? (In the normal place inside the windscreen stantion).

Has anyone got a neat solution that avoids having to disconnect and unbolt it each time you want to remove the scuttle ?

Angus

Angus

I used the Cartek switch and I think it's a brilliant piece of kit. It only has two spades to the switch outside the car so easy to pull apart when the scuttle comes off. Also I wasn't happy with unfused 12v wires going to the normal CC isolator switch, the Cartek uses low current wires to the switch (button). If the Cartek unit fails then 5 mins with a 10mm and 13mm spanners will get the car going.

Take alook at page five of my build thread

jason