Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle Wings Can Fly...

jakeandlizzy

After losing my second cycle wing in 6 months due to the silkaflex either failing or pulling away the so called 'powder coat' on the wing stays, can someone recommend a different attachment method other than drilling.

I saw something about bighead fasteners, but I am confused as to which ones to buy and where to get them (unless someone has some extras!).

Or are there better options?

Edited by - jakeandlizzy on 23 Feb 2011 10:06:54

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one fly a year ago .... but it stayed attached thanks to the indicator repeater wire !

Mine was failure of the powder coat on the top of the stay. The SikaFlex was still attached to the powdercoat.

Easy remedy .... Remove the wings, attack the tops of the stays with a wire brush and sanding block until bare metal. Repaint with Hammerite smooth black. Allow to dry properly. Clean inside of wings where stays will touch, and a decent space each side. Final clean with acetone (nail varnish remover) ..... but keep it off the painted side !

Re-attach with new black SikaFlex (I used 221 ... cheap on e.Bay from a horse box supplier). Use plenty of it ...... build a big fillet and encapsulate the stay. I also laid stripes longways around the wing and over each stay. They are not coming off again !

edit .... let SikaFlex cure for several days before driving !!

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 23 Feb 2011 10:15:17

Yes, it did stay attached, but it came loose (this time) right before the esses at snetterton, so by the time I got back to the pits, the damage had been done as it was rubbing on the tyre. The time before was on the M4 before Llandow....it came all the way off and I had to frogger it across the traffic as it stopped in the median!

Being able to remove it I think is mandatory, however, so the bigheads do sound good...now just to find a source.

I am about to order a small quantity from Bighead - if anyone wants any let me know and I'll do one order between us if that helps. I'll be placing the order in a week or so. I have checked with them and they are happy to supply me with a small quantity, I don't know the price yet - I'll post this once I have it confirmed.

Thank's Grubbster, could be interested depending on the final price!

John, was going to fit it for snetterton, but had other drivers that day using my car that I do not think would have appreciated it! So, it is going on soon -- just waiting for the CF brackets to arrive :). Any luck with finding a set of Brooklands to try out? I would be amazed if someone didn't have a set collecting dust! I almost went down that road as they look OK and you can always get slightly larger pieces of glass made up if you want more protection (or perspex).

I use Sikaflex 292 (expensive but strong £22!), build layers up to completly hide the stay. It did only come in white, so I used a permanent black marker to colour it in. This is a construction strength sealant for marine use!

The wings remained fixed for over 2 years, and a little bumping.

Just had to cut them away from my old stays, no way were they coming off by driving!

See details below

Sikaflex 292

Same happened to my wing too. failure was not from the poweder coat but was at the sealent at the wing side (as all the sealant was attached to the stay and the inside of the wing was "clear".....

Just a silly question.... How could we apply the sealant? I understand the wheel will be removed but what about the gravity? how would we make the sealant stay in place until it get hard enough? i take we dont need to remove the wing stay *confused*

Grubbster,

I am about to order a small quantity from Bighead - if anyone wants any let me know and I'll do one order between us if that helps.

I could be also interested depending on the price, please let me know details...

Thank you

A

It will stay in place ok when extruded from the cartridge gun. Start with a small fillet either side of the wing stay, and let it cure, then build it up until stay is encapsulated. It is important to clean the inside of the wing properly ..... finish with acetone (nail varnish remover) so it adheres properly. Allow days to cure before driving.

James Russell,

Never had a bonded wing come off. I use an adhesive primer on all surfaces and then web the adhesive over and under the wingstay- so it wraps all the way under the stay. Even if the adhesive bond to the wingstay failed, there is still a sleeve of adhesive wrapped around the wingstay.

James, what type adhesive primer you use?

Big Dan,

In addition I put some glass fibre mat into the sikaflex then added a load more sifaflex on top

Mowerman,

Plenty of sikaflex with a piece of glass fibre sheet embedded in it over the stay.....

Big Dan & Mowerman, not sure how to use the glass fiber! any more explanation, please?