Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New diff

Domus

That's interesting. As I've only just fitted my diff to my new build, I'm hoping that they might have given me the new one already, but I bet they haven't!

It must be a completely new design to need driveshafts and propshaft changes.

Duncan

Some pictures of my build: here

The BMW diff is a cast iron unit I believe, and so together with the carrier will likely add additional weight. And - together with new prop and driveshafts will likely not be a cheap option.

Anyone got any more details ?

Angus

"...Caterham will be offering the upgrade package to all existing owners at a special price, for a limited period only

Open Differential - Parts Only £1020, Parts and fitting £1194, Retail (after 31/1/11) £1860

LSD - Parts Only £1554, Parts and fitting £1734, Retail (after 31/1/11), £2394

All these prices include VAT at the 20% rate and required the exchange of your old units...

....Each upgrade requires a new differential, a differential carrier, two new drive shafts and a new propshaft"

Can I just see if I have got this correct, I take my 125 Sigma to Caterham and they remove my old Bl@@dy diff and replace it with a quite BMW engineered device, replace the drives shafts a bracket and a prop shaft and charge me £1020. I drive away with a nice quite car *confused*

If this is true I need to consider this very carefully because that's all that's wrong with my car.

@Angus - no details on weight. In fact, scant details at all in the letter - doesn't confirm the manufacturer (although BMW seems to be known), whether any modifications to the chassis are required, what type of LSD (e.g. Quaife, Titan, BMW, other) etc.

Also the 4 weeks they allow to avail oneself of the "special" price it unlikely to be long enough for a few people to have them fitted and report back on noise/backlash and drivability - these are the things of most interest to me and I guess some others too.