Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT Removing Batteries ffrom Torches

virden

Is it possible to drill into the base of the cells and screw a fat woodscrew in to pull them out ? Not sure if this is a good plan though ? edit ... just looked at a battery on my desk .... 'do not mutilate', so maybe not a good idea !!

If the acid has leaked, it has possibly damaged the workings/casing ?

Maybe time to bin them ?

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 10 Dec 2010 10:46:09

If it's a Maglite:

a) Post it to Maglite. If the battery is a reputable brand (Duracell, Energizer etc) then if they can't remove the battery, they will usually replace it. All you pay is the postage.

b) If you don't want the hassle of posting (after reading this it won't seem like hassle), it is possible to remove the switch mechanism by using a tiny allen key through the switch - you need to pop off the rubber seal. Bash the torch base on a lump of wood, and hopefully you can get the batteries to shift half an inch out. You can then (hopefully) extract the circlip that stops the switch coming out the top (this is HARD). Slide out the switch mechanism, and starting driving out the batteries with force. As much as possible. You may need a press.

Maglites are a particular problem because they're made out of unforgiving steel tube - it doesn't shift when the battery swells, so it well and truly sticks.

Obviously if it's not a Maglite, then ignore the above. And don't ask me how I know all this *tongue*

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

Maglite cases are aluminium - and expand rather well under hot water, sometimes loosening the grip the furry battery has on the case. Hot water will also assist inside in loosening the battery. I still had to remove the switch from a D-cell one to get one battery out. Hot water to flush out, and then a good wirebrushing with a rotary brush to remove all traces of corrosion.

And then bought some pretty coloured Nascar branded D-cell ones from a mall in Fort Worth for a few quid - so I never actually reassembled it *smokin*

Bri

Dry battery electrolytes are usually alkaline, therefore the use of vinegar (acetic acid) would help neutralise the corrosion. If you did want to neutralise acid, e.g. sulphuric acid from a car battery, you need an alkaline substance such as sodium bicarbonate. Adding vinegar to acidic corrosion will only make things worse or, at least, not any better.

Superglue something that you can thread a cord through to the bottom of the battery, then whack the body of the Maglite (after having removed the reflector head) whilst pulling on the cord.

I'm another fan of LED torches. I bought an LED Lenser P7 from this guy,whom I thoroughly recommend, and have found it to far superior to a 3 x D cell Maglite - much brighter, longer battery life, two power settings and it fits in the palm of you hand. It also comes with a handy belt holster.

The P14 is also well worth a look. I'll be getting one some time soon.

Take a look at the demos on the website under the second link. Very impressive!

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!