Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roadsport 175 or superlight?

adz

greetings,

I think I have persuaded SWMBO to let me spend a bit more on my next 7. The roadsport duratec175 and the superlight (with sigma 150) are almost exactly the same price when I add the options I want, and I don't know which one to go for.- on paper the 0-60s are about the same. I'd put the superlight suspension on the roadsport and a screen on the superlight.

Previous car was roadsport 125. I drove a roadsport 150 SV and it didn't seem to be much more urgent than my 125 but I could feel the slight lack of low down torque.

I've had some hot laps in a superlight 300 and that was brutally faster .

If it's not going to be an obvious performance upgrade, then I think I'll save my money, so my questions are:

Does the 6 speed box in the superlight make it obviosly quicker than the roadsport 150?

Cos the duratec has loads of torque does having the 6 sepped box (roadsport 175 vs R300) make much difference?

Has anyone driven both and can give a comparison?

Kind Regards

Adam

I think I have persuaded SWMBO to let me spend a bit more on my next 7.
You lucky boy, I wish I had your dilema! *wink*

For what it's worth IMO, I would defo go for the duratec roadsport *thumbup*

Love my little 125 (& certainly can't afford to replace it at the moment) but if I could in the future I would have a 175 roadsport with 5 speed box *thumbup*

Duratec! *thumbup* but you should really try both then decide.

I rented a Sigma 150 from CC a few months before ordering my kit. When I gave the car back I went out with the sales guy in an R400 Duratec. There was no going back after that! *smokin* In the end I went for an R300 Duratec (same engine as Roadsport 175) but I have an easy upgrade path to R400 performance in the future. As this is my first Caterham though, for now the 175 is well enough.

I really noticed a difference in the superlight suspension too (over the standard suspension). Much better over bumpy back roads. Plus big brakes, LSD etc etc.

M

Duratec R300 SV Build Pics

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that it depends what you are going to do with the car.

If it's mainly track driving then go Superlight, you'll want the 6 speed box, but I notice you still have to pay extra for a LSD on the R300.

If it's mainly for road use, the higher top in the 5 speed will be useful, and it'll save quite a bit of money, particularly as you plan to spec a screen on the Superlight.

Nice choice to have *smile*

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 17 Nov 2010 22:58:56