Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trolley Jack

bourne17

Looking at buying a low entry jack for a roadsport but seem to have entered a minefield. Likely contenders so far are the Liftmaster steel version and the Clarke racing jack. The Draper racing jack looks good but is extremely heavy.

Can anyone help??

Is it primarily for home use or will you be taking it to circuits? The Clarke aluminium jack (which used to be called "racing" but doesn't seem to be these days) is light and excellent for mobile use. If it's primarily for home, something more substantial with a greater maximum lift might be preferable. Not that the Clarke one is too bad, just that others go higher.

Alan,

Would it be Ok to come across over the next week and speak to you about it, I am fairly nearby. Just got my Caterham and need make sure I am jacking the right position so your advice would be much appreciated.

I've got a similar jack to Alan, a low-profile jack from Liftmaster, but without the swivel handle or LED lights in the lifting pad. It's not as light, trick or well built as an alloy race jack but it does the job fine to lift the Caterham, including using a hard rubber lifting block (which is actually an ice hockey puck). Think it was less than £40 and it says something like "low down trolley jack" on it, which makes me laugh. Not given way yet, touch wood...

I bought a 2tonne jack for about £60. A year later I bought that Aluminium Clarke low-entry jack. Every time I get it in our out of the van, I think how great it is for it to be light enough not to do my back in!

The main jack lives in the garage with two handy bricks. Actually not that handy really

Jez

hi guy's

don't want to sound a tight wad here,but i have a 2.25ton lifting jack for my roadsport support vehicle [fiesta],i had in mind,when i come to jack rear of caterham up,remove jack front wheel's,and place a bit of 6mill stud bar under jack front end to allow it to roll and not scratch my battleship gray floor.give this a try before you splashout.