Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dave Walker or the two Steves? MINI REMAP RESULTS NOW IN !

BYKer Will

A good day at Emerald yesterday, Ammos Duratec Engine nocked out 308 bhp and 197 ib of torque at 8800 I am back on the rock and have just driven it Wooooowwwwww!

Big thanks to Amedeo for knocking up a cracking four pot, Dave Walker for his superb plotting. Time for play, the TT course is sadly snowed over but Ime sure I will find a nice road.

Although a traffic accident and snow tried to impede us, we had another brilliant Duratec mapping job done by Dave at Emerald yesterday. I use Emerald ECU' s on all my engines so it makes sense to go to Emerald for mapping. I have had two of my own personal engines (230 and 260 bhp 2 litre Duratecs) mapped by Dave and both have been glitchless in every gear and at all rpm. I have also had dozens of other cars with my engines mapped there with similar results.

If you have an Emerald you will not be disappointed by Dave's mapping. It really is worth the trip in my opinion. The price for mapping is a very reasonable too at only £275.00 + VAT. It is a flat price. Dave just keeps going until it is done.

Ruff Seven's car is far from rough. Immaculately prepared, ultra wide track with Freestyle inboard suspension at the front and SV wide De Dion tube at the rear. Nitrons all round. Lots of nice little touches I haven't seen on other cars. Looks very, very nice. The quality of the work and attention to detail is exceptional.

Danny

Your map was very close on Paul's engine. The engines are basically identical apart from the fact that yours is based on a 2.3 and Paul's on a 2 litre. Even though rod lengths and rod ratios are different the end result is very similar. The mapping would have been quite quick had I net decided to tweek the cams backwards and forwards. Every time we moved them from where I originally set them we lost power. Most frustsrating!

Paul dropped me back at home last night and then had to drive flat out to Heysham to get a 2 am ferry this morning. He may recover from van lag at some point and post something too.

Ammo

Raceco.com

Edited to say that it looks like Pauls' back in circulation!

Hope you enjoy the roads once the Island thaws out.

Edited by - AMMO on 23 Feb 2010 14:59:41

Danny

No I just wasted time messing with the cam timing.

The power figures are with the airbox and air filter. To change the bellmouths you have to be some sort of contortionist /gynaecologist. You have to fit the bellmouths in Braille with your arm into the opening of the airbox and do it by feel.

The induction length we decided on yours works. So that is what we used.

Ammo

Raceco.com

Both very helpful on phone and both very booked up so must be good!

The also very helpful Mr Andrews has tempted me with some serious head work to make the most of the 1.9 block so for now I'm just going to get the existing map tweaked for safety. I'll report back.

I'll then get Oily to give me 250 bhp next winter abw!

Will

Had a mini mapping session for an hour with Dave Walker at emerald today.

I wasn't seeking big power (yeah right!) as I am planning some more work by oily but I wanted to make sure the 2004/5 map wasn't running lean now that the engine is 1.9 scholar blocked (with arrow rods, r500 cams but standard vhpd head and kv6 bodies).

As expected the map was lean in some areas but strangely rich at the top end. Dave has tweaked it all over and it now seems to pull better especially in the 5000 to 7000 range.

It made 200 bhp before Dave fiddled with it and 205 bhp at circa 7500 rpm after an hours play plus nearly 160 ft lbs of torque.

Now searching on here suggests standard slr's make between 175 and 200 bhp so that seems OK but I was slightly disapointed as the original 1.8 engine with same head and bodies plus standard slr cams made 204 ish in 2004 at emerald and 207 at road and track but at higher rpm (8000 ish) but with less torque.

I was hoping for a little more hp but I'm pleased with the torque. I imagine so many variables that it is dangerous to compare with historic runs plus I suspect that whilst I have more cubic inches the standard vhpd head is maybe the limiting factor (Dave Andrews did say it would be). I'm also wondering if the cam timing needs tweaking.

Anyone got a fully done oily head going cheap?

Finally out of interest what have standard r400's been making at emerald lately?

Will

PS heated waistcoat was so toasty I didn't even wear a jacket home in the cold and dark.

I am slightly confused.

it looks like there is very little difference with in engine power between many k series.

looking at your spec verse other k it would seem that a big valve ported head is the way to get power. Shaun E has 225bhp on a 1.9 k with less wild cams. I have seen a 1.8 with spec same cams produce 210 bhp.

Would I be right that to gain improved power you need the big valves and ported head? I guess any k series at about 200- 210 should be reliable.

David

So , 205 bhp with what 540 kg without driver = 379 bhp/tonne

Blackbird 165 bhp and 460 kg/ full tank fuel = 358 bhp / tonne

But i'm 80 kg and you're 100kg so

you're 640 with 205 bhp = 320 bhp/tonne

i'm 540 with 165 = 305 bhp/tonne.

therefore you should be passing me on straight if you can get closr enough out of the corners!! 😬 😬

Neil

Mark

Charm I guess and the promise of fox' s golden crunch!

Plus I only wanted an hour for a quick check rather than a full map and said I could do anytime so he squuezed me in.

Will

PS I forgot to say that Dave Walker is really good to deal with and knows his stuff. He did more in an hour than a day spent somewhere else with the blackbird.

• 3 weeks later...

My CSR has been mapped today by Steve Greenald......fresh engine and new ECU and the map was apparently a right nightmare and unusually took him from 11am-8pm tonight to get it spot on, total dedication and professionalism throughout and I just can't sing his praises enough........great bloke and great service *thumbup*

C7 YUM