Click here if you are having website access problems ×

upgrade steering wheel, seats, roll bar,..

Garth

My Roadsport 125 kit is allegedly in production 😬for delivery at the end of March. Since ordering it I have obtained permission *thumbup* to spend a few more pennies so want to upgrade the following:

1. Steering wheel for the quick release Momo

2. Seats to leather

3. Rollover bar for a track day one

4. Seatbelts to a 4 point harness

Is it best to just order the extra items from CC and then substitute them when I do the build?

Should I look to other manufactures for the seats and race harness?

Should I get in touch with CC and get them to make the changes now?

The only thing which I suspect is not a straight forward swap is the steering wheel as the Momo has the horn on the dash?

Thanks

atlast

Tell she who must be obeyed that the Rollbar and 4 Point harness are essential safety items so they should't come into the extras. That might free up some more money.

I'd get them all added to the kit, would mean everything is together.

To my knowledge all the horns are on the dash? so that shouldn't be a problem.

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

Edited by - Miltec on 11 Feb 2010 12:52:08

Get them changed now. For most (all?) of those items it is cheaper to spec them up front rather than but two parts and throw/sell one.

It might take a bit of sweet talking but none of those parts(apart from the horn - Miltec, my horn is in the wheel boss) should affect Caterhams build-up of the kit.

Calling Simon Rogers....you sent me an e-mail suggesting I look at a link regarding the steering wheel, but there was no link to go to! *thumbdown* If you look at this again please send it to me! Thanks.

Can anybody tell me if the holes in the chassis are the same for the standard and leather seats? Do the holes come pre-drilled? Perhaps I should continue reading the build manual *confused*!

Why would one go for the Caterham 4 point seat belts when one can buy similar ones for half the price?

atlast

• Area Representative

Fitting and holes for leather and standard (cloth?) seats are exactly the same.

For the money you are spending on the rest of the kit, you might as well keep it all original for your belts

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

Oh yes 😬

It is just superb. Its just so simple. No need to remember which way the wheels are pointing just put the wheel back on and give it a twirl. Dis you watch the video?

We are working on the cost. It should come down to the same price as the CC one does once you add the top column to the boss price. It will come as a complete kit.

*smile*

I did look at the video and it does look fantastic!

Are you selling them? I have come across another company doing them (playskool) and they seem to say that they will weld the boss to the top of the existing steering column! Will this all be SVA compliant?

What sort of steering wheel can the boss accept?

atlast

Edited by - Garth on 11 Feb 2010 19:47:03

Hello Garth *thumbup*

I ordered my roadsport 125 kit 3yrs ago this coming May (where has the time gone?)

Now is the time to pay for any little upgrades as it will cost a fair bit more once you have the car.

I opted for all four of your options plus a starter button (£40 no brainer) & said leave that spare wheel off too! *tongue* Oh & a flash paint job *biggrin*

See how you get on with the standard Avon ZV3 tyres if that's what they are still fitting. I found them OK in the dry but rather scary in the wet *eek*

There have been countless threads on here about tyres but consider Yoko AO21's, I find them brilliant *smile* Be aware you will struggle to wear the ZV3's out as they are so HARD!

Good luck & keep us updated on progress when you take delivery *thumbup*

Hi Martin

The only option I have gone for so far is the starter button - always wanted one of those!

Not sure what the standard tyres I am getting are! Ultimately I think I would like two sets of wheels, one for getting to and from places and the other for those track days? If that ever happens?

How long did it take you to do your build and are there any pitfalls you can help me avoid?

atlast

Hi Garth, if you're getting the standard wheels (14" minilites) you'll get ZV3s. I reckon mine now have more tread than when I first got them *tongue* Martin didn't get along with them *wink* but I haven't had too many issues; sure I've had the odd scary moment, but who hasn't?

I built mine too, took about 8 weekends. And the same again to get it paperworked up *eek* But it's not a race, take your time and enjoy it - it's really good fun sitting in a cold garage until silly o'clock at night trying to figure out a way of getting the prop in without removing the diff... *tongue*

The options I went for were the tillets, which are super comfy, and I got the 4 point road harnesses. I changed those for s/h 4 point race harnesses, and swapped the motolita for a momo (albeit on a fixed boss - £10 from ebay 😬), as I didn't get on with the originals. The horn was easy to retrofit.

I'm now wishing I'd spent a bit more for things like paint, FIA rollbar and the adjustable platforms, but I couldn't afford it ☹️

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

Thanks for the comments John *thumbup*. My budget will not stretch to the tillets, but I will go for the leather seats, the track rollover bar and the race harness. Did you look at the quick release Simon was talking about? It looks fantastic.

I am hoping CC deliver on time as I have booked 2 weeks leave to try and do the bulk of the build with my son - Sam - during the Easter hols!? Sam it the tech wiz, so his other task is going to be photos and the build diary!

atlast

Garth, Simon,

Any chance of sharing the link you guys are talking about? It sounds intriguing.

@Garth, the build's nearly finished mate! Seats going in at the moment. Then it's just wings, fluids and tidying for IVA. Woo hoo!

Martyn

R300GRR SV nearly there!!