Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best rear tyres for HPC

Davejenks23

I would be interested in everyones view on what are the best rear tyres for my HPC. I've just had my MOT and the current Yokohamas are down to 1.6mm. I mainly just blat around the roads but have been known to do some track days also.

PS did you see me on September in the latest L7C calendar?! *smile*

Cheers

Dave

Sorry to hijack but did it pass at 1.6mm?

Personally I'd fit the same brand/compound as the front.

However it all depends on what you want to do with car.

Wheel sizes?

Options include 185/70/13 Yoko A021's.

AO48 185/60/13 or 14" diam

Toyo R888 185/60/13 or 14" diam

Thanks Mick,

Yes the actual wording on the advisorary was that they were close to 1.6 so they just passed.

My HPC has got the original 16" wheels on it still so the current tyres are 205 45 R16. The front tyres are Michelins and aren't that great to be honest. Was thinking of getting new rear tryres closely followed my matching fronts when I have the money.

Cheers

Dave

Why would you drive an HPC and then keep concrete Michelins on the front and fit new Yokos (or similar semi-sticky) tyres on the rear?

If you can't afford a complete set of tyres, I'd sell the car and buy a cheap Roadsport - it'll handle a lot better :)

Dave

Having nearly been killed by Michelins on an HPC I wouldn't dream of retaining them on the car, especially on the front. You won't just have understeer you'll have zero steer in the wet.

After our accident I ditched my 16" wheels for 13" and have enjoyed a variety of superb tyres and handling ever since. However I appreciate that changing the wheels may not be an option for you so hopefully someone will come up with a suitable make/compound that will keep you on the road. Cosmetically the 16" do look good, that's why I bought them with my car in the first place, but 7s are not suited to low profile tyres and work much better with the tyre wall compliance afforded by the 13 or 14 inch rubber. You also have a much greater range of suitable tyres available at sensible prices.

In the meantime, drive carefully 😬

Paul

Wheel size is all a case of preference both asthetically and for driving feel/ performance.

Personnally I like the 16" wheels but as others have suggested ditch the Michelins. I currently use Toyo proxies which I think are a good balance for the road. Soft and grippy but not so soft they wear out like cr500's. Tread pattern looks good to *wink*. They are also quite affordable, I think they were around £65 from black circles.

Guy

My HPC is still on the original 16" wheels- see pictures in Jan 2010 Low Flying, pages 10 and 11. I know everyone says the 16" should be replaced by smaller wheels with higher profile rubber, but I like the look. The old Michelins could be tricky in the wet, and I have been running Avon zz3 tyres for some time and they seem ok to me.

bradders

Personally I would not be guided by what Caterham fit, there are many reasons for OE tyre choice for a company like Caterham and other than the r500 I would bet overall tyre performance is not top of the list.

Go for Yokohama, Toyo, Falken or Kumho - brands recognised for sports vehicles and tyres that are built for lighter axle weights. A tyre designed for the average mondeo is not suitable for a Caterham.

In many ways I think that is why people like 13" rims so much. They compare a main stream tyre on a 16" rim with a performance tyre on a 13" rim. Not apples, with apples.

I suspect whatever tyre you fit on a 16" rim is going to be a compromise on a Caterham. Having driven a seven on 16" wheels and then again on 13" wheels and felt the incredible transformation I'd seriously recommend thinking about a set of 13" rimms with something like 021r's or CR500's on. You'll be amazed at how much better the car feels.

Not sure about 16" tyres but I think the Scudo Stunners were meant to be about the best "normal" tyre in a 15" size.

Whatever you do fit the same make/model tyres on all 4 wheels.

Cheers

Rob G

Those tyres were/are referred to as Michelin Pile-ups (Pilots) and for a good reason, as Paul found out.

I too run an HPC (there is no other choice...well that was until the Duratec came along - but even then the exhaust is on the wrong side *wink*) and have 15" Prisoners and 13" miniltes. I fully agree that the car performs much better on the 13"'s but then I also think the cars look nice on the bigger wheels.

I run Yoko A539's on the 15"s and I find they do well for the touring stuff but are clearly a hard wearing tyre as they have not really worn much in 10K miles. The Scudo Stunners, as I understand it are quite a soft compound, and therefore good for track days etc.

A good compromise I think would be something like the Toyo Proxies T1-R as mentioned by Guy.

Also please take the advice on here and make sure you run the same tyre on all four corners *thumbup*

Cheers

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 30 Jan 2010 20:00:12

The best thing I did was to ditch the Michelins. I now use the Stunners as they were recommended by people sprinting when it's wet. They're reasonably soft, good in the wet and wear well. A good choice if you're sticking with the HPC wheels.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere

Thanks Guys,

I think I will get a set of 4 stunners or proxies for the 16" wheels for touring and then maybe a set of 4 14" wheels and very soft tyres if I start to do more track days.

Thanks for all the advice.

Really looking forward to get out in her more this year.

Cheers

Dave