Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater

Peter Mears

I’ve got the old style flat heater, the recirculation type. The centre fan vibrates and is driving me mad. Having taken it apart it’s the up and down movement of the fan bush inside the motor that rattles and can’t be fixed.

Apart from removing it altogether (not an option, wimp) what could be done? I don’t want to get another bonnet for the fresh air type so is there another solution.

Can the new type be run in any way without drawing though the bonnet louver?

Edited by - peter mears on 2 Jan 2010 15:31:50

Edited by - peter mears on 2 Jan 2010 15:32:23

I have to dispute this *arrowup*. It really depends on the conditions and how far you're going. I have driven from London to Edinburgh in February, and despite wearing my sub-zero -10 thermals, motorbike winter gear, sheepskin hat and having the roof and doors on, I had to stop at Scotch Corner, walk around and get some hot soup because I couldn't feel my feet enough to drive.

I guess it varies from person to person, but when you drive a long way you're really hardly moving at all and insulation only reduces heat-loss, it doesn't eliminate it and it doesn't generate any warmth. Your body needs to be generating heat at a faster rate than you're losing it to be able to manage without a heater. This was a few years ago when I was a bit chubbier, but I now have a sheepskin jacket, I wonder if I would be warmer doing it now.

I also recall going hillwalking in Dumfries and Galloway and getting caught in a snow/rain storm. Despite wearing head to toe goretex waterproofs I eventually got soaked to the skin and was then faced with a 4 hour drive home. Even with the roof on, I was shivering uncontrollably by the time we got to Abington serices on the M74, and had to wear some of my wife's clothes to get us home! It was this experience that finally convinced me to get a heater.

back here because I want to be.

Edited by - charlie_pank on 4 Jan 2010 13:31:07

What about cutting a new louver in the existing bonnet?

Would the cost be greater than £175 for a new one, as caterham cars want about £175 for the bonnet plus £250 for the heater conversion, which could be found second hand.

This is a lot of money just to cure a rattle 😳

Great pictures Phil, what a good modification. Could you clear a point for me.

Are the two wires going into the unit from the switch both live, one routed through the capacitor to give the low and high speed?

I can see the earth but the unit is back together now and my 12v tester is nowhere to be found.

Phil, did this all work out in the end as I am going to get a MR2 unit very soon off ebay.

This is a great thread and has inspired me to have a closer look at my heater. The original fan works in lo and hi speed. My son told me that it worked on his side but I can report that nothing much happens on my (the driver's side).

I investigated tonight. On the passenger side the fan sucks from the cockpit OK and provides a reasonable flow (but I am sure it could be better). The driver's side: hardly any sucking an no flow.

I don't have a heater control valve and intend to fit one when I convert my cooling system to a closed system. Maybe the drivers side has been blocked off to try and reduce the flow of hot air into the driver's foot well?

The 4 (well only 3 to be honest) screws holding the heater to the scuttle have been treated with penetrating oil. Unfortunately, I will have to shift the whole unit to gain access to the screws on the rear side of the lid to have look see. My right-angled screwdriver/ratchets are just to big to undo the screws retaining the lid.

While I am about it, changing to a modern fan would probably be worth while. So this is work in progress.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

You'll find a small deflector on the driver side/clutch pedal side pop riveted to the hole. It seems to deflect quite a bit of the heat, but it may be there to make the two holes different sizes, and hence provide some primitive circulation?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...