Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel to Radius arm gap - was 205 R888's on 8" rim - Ok?

philwaters

I'm think about changing at least the rears from 6" to 8" and I just thought I would check the Toyo site regarding the rims permitted for the 205 rears I have and it indicated 5.5 - 7.5. here

I could go for 7" I guess, but I had started to think about swapping them all round to 8-spokes and they are either 6 or 8" width it seems.

Anyone running the 205's on the 8" rims? Would it be Ok?

Phil Waters

Edited by - philwaters on 9 Oct 2009 17:48:34

As everyone says they seem to work fine but I found my 8 inch compomotives cxrs did stick out proud of a 205 r888 and if some farmer dropped them flat onto tarmac at cadwell before they even had been on the car it might scratch the rim! This didn't happen with Barnbys due to the slimmer rim.

W

Phil,

I had the same debate some time ago and decided to run with 7" rims for the rear from Compomotive, couldn't see the point in fitting an 8" rim when the 7" does the job just fine with a 205 R888 ?

From memory this does limit wheel choice from Caterham though ☹️

Cheers,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - think I am getting somewhere, but decided I ought to make sure whichever 8" rim I go for will be Ok on my Live Axle (Ford).

Can anyone tell me what sort of gap I should plan to have between the radius arm and the inside edge of the rim? Also, what sort of gap between the outer edge of the rim and the inner bit of the wheel arch (the return bit where it tucks back inside - the bit about 5-6mm wide).

Cheers in advance for crawling around under your car *thumbup* 😬

Phil Waters