Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 2.0 - Two Questions - One Solved - Fuel Starvation

mark not max

I am seeking help on two fronts. My VX broke down for the first time last night.

Firstly please can someone let me know where I can source an oil pressure relief valve for my VX 2.0 16v and the part number. My original valve sticks occasionally and I hate to see pressure above 6 bar.

My second problem is a total loss of power. It has happen once last week but last night the engine restarted on three cylinders and I was soon stranded on the side of the road again. After the engine cooled for an hour it restarted on all four and I limped home (followed by a friendly AA man ).

On the first occasion I was out for a blat for about 70 miles, the car was parked for an hour or so and around 20 minutes into the trip home, when the engine was at a constant 4000rpm, I lost power. Extra throttle had an initial minimal effect, but soon the car ground to a halt with the engine still running.

Spark plugs were changed yesterday afternoon, three of which were in tip top condition and the other slightly sooty. The distributor seems ok showing no sign of arching.

Last night my blat out was around 75 miles. The car sat for little over an hour and on the way home whilst on a twisty ‘A’ road with mixed revs and a range of gears the power dropped in and out. I managed to limp on for 20 miles but when the car started to run on three cylinders and lacked the power to do 20mph I had to stop.

The AA chap thought it could be the crank sensor but I am wondering what needs to be changed first!

Your help is appreciated

Edited by - Mark not Max on 28 Jun 2009 20:04:42

first, ensure the crank sensor cable is not run along side the ht leads. I run mine above the spark plug cover.

Second, it sound like the coil pack breaking down. Either find someone to swap with as a test or buy a new one.

Third, is it always the same cylinder that's missing? try changine the HT leads.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - stolen with trailer 27/03/09 ☹️

Mark - you'd be hard pushed to better QED for all things XE......they must know their stuff 'cause they also support the wonderful K Series....QED....

As for engine - it does seem to point to a sensor - I assume you have a 3D ECU and if duff and not picking it will not know what the engine is trying to do and have the effect of not advancing the timing accordingly.

I assume as a minimum there will be a Crank Sensor and a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) - possibly also a cam sensor but that will depned on what ECU you are running.

Start by checking for obvious damage to wiring and connectors - if all else fails your friendly RRoad Man will be able to test that each sensor is picking up and sending a signal to the ECU.......

Other (less likely causes) could be:-

1. aeration of the fuel in the Carbs - have you had the Webers off the car recently.....they can be sensitive to mounting....picking up heat and vibration.

2. duff HT Lead

3. duff coil

4. duff electical connector in the engine loom

*confused*Call if you would like a hand - Rgds G

PS - Did Jo enjoy her Scampi "n" Chips.

My Winter '08 Upgrade was to a screaming DVA K05.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

SBD can supply an oil pressure relief valve www.sbdev.co.uk. Are you sure its the oprv and not a duff oil pressure gauge sender? You might get one from a Vauxhall dealer. Ask for a '91 Astra 2 litre 16 valve

As you have a dizzy I guess you're on carbs. As well as ignition related bits I'd also check the fuel pump. The Facit solid state pumps can go intermittent leading to low or no fuel pressure. If you can hear it ticking its probably ok.

Andy - thanks - new HT leads are on my list.

Geoff - may need to enlist the support of your redtop friend. Can't give Stan another K series!

ps whilst the food was very good, not enough scampi and her Snoopy cloud followed her - it rained last night in Cromer!

Paul - Fuel pump is fine. I have seen poor reports of the SBD orv. Do you use one?

Thanks all for your responses

Mark

I used an SBD orv for years before I went drysump and never had any problems with it although I have heard stories of them sticking. The theory is that the piston is made of a soft material and will 'absorb' any bits of carp that might find their way there and otherwise cause it to stick. I think they might also sell you the standard piston so if all else fails they'd be worth a try.

I hope you solve your main problem. I suppose another possibility is that the ecu goes faulty when it gets hot. Like the others, I'd certainly try the crank sensor first.

The OPRV is officially no longer available through GM dealers. I had problems getting consistant pressure with the SBD one. You could try an evening polishing your piston with something like Autosol polish or source one from a scrap engine. Certainly worth eliminating the sensor first - I went through 3 in 2 years.

On the running point I can only concur with the others, coilpack, crank sensor, HT leads & fuel pump as starting points

i had a faulty temp sensor on my HPC that was telling my DTA ECU that the engine was over heating, it had been mapped to safely cut the engine in this condition, this was found by QED reading the last running map on the ECU. it clearly showed the ECU had thought the engine was very hot, it wasnt. a simple fix of new sender around £15.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

• 2 weeks later...

Problem has been isolated to the fuel tank not breathing. Has anyone else had to drill a hole in their fuel cap to solve this?

The tank is circa 1997 and I am not aware that it has any vent. I fitted a new filler neck last year - I am thinking that previously the tank was breathing through the old filler neck which had perished.

Hi Mark,

Have you solved your orv problem yet? I ask as I have the same problem. Is the orv easily accessible and straightforward to remove/replace.

Someone said the orv may be inside the oil pump but think he was just generalising.

Cheers

Dave

The OPRV is very easy to access. It's on the lower front side on the block (nearside from memory). It's a large headed plug/bolt. Unscrew it and the plunger/piston and spring will pop out.Replacing it is an 🙆🏻 and a swearing exercise because you have to put pressure on the plug and compress the spring and turn the plug to engage the thread all at an awkward angle.

Thanks for the info AVES. Very good to know, though ever so slightly worried about your PITA to fit comment. My mechanical/technical skill and knowledge usually runs out after 'Step 1. Undo bolt' and find myself stranded and needing help 😬

Always willing to have a go though *thumbup*, so I may have a look over the weekend.

Should I expect any loss/seepage of oil when I take the OPRV out?

Mark - did you remove/fit yourself. Did you find in the PITA that AVES says it is?

Cheers

Dave

AVES - that's quite an impressive achievement *thumbup* given the two components are seemingly unrelated or connected. I trying but struggling to work out what sort of sequence of events lead to that

To confirm then, before I start undoing bolts - do I need to drain the engine of oil or, if I don't, will there be some loss of oil when I remiove the OPRV?

cheers

Dave

Best to do it with the engine not running........ 😳 The oil will be in the sump so nothing major will come out - There will be a dribble but nothing of great merit.

Then try polishing the piston with something mildly abrasive like Autosol.

It's actually quite easy to set fire to a VX tinkering with the steering. The column runs very close to the live terminal on the starter motor. Once you've created that short.............. 😳

If the above does not/has not fixed it, check the bolts securing the venturi's inside the carbs. The venturi has to be aligned as to allow fule to flow to the main jet. If the venturi revolves, no fuel, hence it gives precisely the symptom you have described. I had this problem on "The Morgan".

Took weeks to find.

Also be careful with a parts supplier named above (not SBD) I am bound by an NDA from passing opinion, but Aves handled my legal case against them. Perhaps he has something to say?