Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Failure of DSG gearbox on Audi A3

Friend has a 2.0Tdi Audi A3 with DGS gearbox.

A few months outside the warranty period, and at around 50k miles, the gearbox failed completely. Replacement cost £3,200 fitted.

The Audi garage that did the work said they were surprised that VW-Audi hadn't made any contribution (thus suggesting that they have had problems ?). Apparently the oil was full of metal shards !!

They are appealing to VW-Audi to see if they would be prepared to assist in any way. Anyone have any experience of problems with DSG gearboxes ? Blatmail if you prefer.

Thanks.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that VAG products are nowhere near as well designed/built as they were in the past. Stories of substandard waterpumps on PD engines, electrical glitches and unreliability seem prevelent. I'd buy Ford today rather than VAG.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

my 04 2.0tdi a3 had to have a new gearbox ecu at about 30000 miles. symptoms were that it just sat in neutral. it was covered under warranty lucky because the bill would have been about 1700 quid otherwise. its now got 73000 miles on it with no further problems - yet...

we also have a 55 plate touran with the 2.0tdi (manual) - this had to have the flywheel replaced - squeaked this in with 1 week left on the warranty though 😬

i think i'll try bmw next as i don't have the confidence to buy another dsg or vw 2.0 tdi. i also need a tow car and definitely don't think the dsg is up to that!?

i also need a tow car and definitely don't think the dsg is up to that

We currently have two hard driven VAG 2.0 TDi cars both with DSG boxes, my Octavia has now done 48k miles and SWMBO's 2004 Golf has clocked over 76k miles including towing my racecar to Anglesey and back doing 37mpg average with no problems *thumbup*

We currently have two hard driven VAG 2.0 TDi cars both with DSG boxes, my Octavia has now done 48k miles and SWMBO's 2004 Golf has clocked over 76k miles including towing my racecar to Anglesey and back doing 37mpg average with no problems
The kiss of Death clock is ticking then ??

Thanks for the replies ... all passed on *thumbup*

Foggy

I have just bought an A3 with a manual gearbox as I discovered thishere and consequently decided I would stick with a manual instead!!

Doesn't that come with a dual mass flywheel? in which case lookie here

Problem is that most high mileage modern cars have a "lottery part" which , if they go are flippin expensive and without much alternative but to stump up to a main dealer, however that doesn't mean that the majority are affected.

Olij, not sure beemers are any better really although it tends to be the engines rather than the gearboxes that are the lottery parts.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

'05 Touran 2.0 TDI, at 40k service, dealer strongly suggested changing the DSG oil to avoid problems - a new recommendation they said. Engine was also using some coolant (head gasket it transpires) and then the wastegate jammed = new head + turbo apparently. Then the turbo hose blew off and we got £200 credit note for our inconvenience! Not impressed at reliability, but impressive customer service.