Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham's CF dash on an earlier car....

davef

Whilst I have my car in bits I'm thinking of replacing my CF dash (which over the years has become slightly damaged). As I'm happy with the standard layout, and don't fancy cutting a blank, I was thinking of replacing like for like, and Caterham's CF dash here appears to be the one - except it's marked May 2000 onwards, and my car is 1999. So my questions for POBC:

- what changed in May 2000 that affects the dash?

- has anyone fitted this dash to a slightly earlier car?

Cheers, Dave

To my knowledge (and I used to run K9 Composites with Peter T) Caterham no longer make a carbon dash for pre 2000 cars. The lower chassis rail was changed (increased in diameter for SVA) in 2000 and hence the dashboards were no longer interchangeable. Not only that but Caterham carbon is now all produced with a 'vertical' weave rather than the more usual 45 deg weave.

K9 did produce a mould for the pre 2000 dash but unfortunately this got damaged and had to be scrapped. Your best bet will probably be either Mog (via Fluke motorsport) or RiF (CarbonBits)

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Su77on Se7ener

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 4 May 2009 20:51:58

Malc, I should be able to add the req'd holes (only need two of them...)

Steve, I understand what you're saying. If I can make the current CC dash work with minimal hassle then I'll probably go that wayas it minimises the cutting/drilling, esp as I'm intending remaining with the current layout......

Dave

• Leadership Team

Some time ago Bryn7 was investigating making a diagonal weave CF dash the same as the o/e dash on the pre-2000 chassis. I'm not sure whether anyone is in touch with Bryn and can follow this up? I would certainly be interested in one, whether blank or pre-cut. My ideal choice would actually be to have the pre-2000 dash with the speedo/rev-counter spacing as per the later dash, ie. no warning light holes.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Jon - Ultimate Carbon is Bryn. I've a set of wings from him waiting to go onto the car *cool* - when I collected them a few weeks ago he was very busy with work..

Stu - looks like we're after the same or very similar item. I've dropped Bryn an email....

Dave

• Leadership Team

*thumbup*

The one that Bryn has sold on ebay is pretty well what I'm after. Fairly easy to make up a template to cut the holes.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited by - sforshaw on 6 May 2009 14:27:37

Stu, I have a cad drawing (from Caterham) of the standard layout, if that's any good.

It has all measurements and datum points to recreate the exact layout. I can produce a PDF of it for you if it's of any help.

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 6 May 2009 16:45:45

what size is the latest cross tube under the dash ? as I have a spare unused, totally unholed *smokin*diagonal weave carbon dash in the roof of my garage *tongue* and I would like to ensure it fits my 1997 chassis *smile*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

hi guys, i wondered why i had a number of blatmails regarding c/f dashes 😬. the one we sold on ebay was one we had from a friend who was looking into making them themselves but never finished off the project. i wasn't aware that there were different types of dash 😳 😳. we are hoping to do these in the 'diagonal weave' to match the rest of the bits we make and are making in future. does anybody have a dash of either type that we can look at (off the car) to determine what model we are making for? if you are local (can get to towcester) i could help you fit it? i don't know how we would go about cutting out the holes though on a production basis, by hand it would take ages and hence more££ not looked into water jet or laser cutting yet though. so, we are making them but want to ensure correct fitting before we start full production.

thanks all,

P.S. watch webber go in barcelona and then take off in monaco!!!! 😬

bryn

Bryn, I, or should I say Peter T has my old c/f dash in his garage. This is the pre 2000 version for cars with the thinner lower chassis tube. It is drilled but it would give you a starting place in terms of radii and also where the 'joggle' for the knee panels fit.

Let me know if you want it.

Also Bryn, re the cutting, I can put you intouch with a company that cut the K9 dashboards. I have verified that they still have the CAD cutting pattern (standard layoput) and that they would be happy to do same for you. As it happens they do alot of cutting for RBR.

Give me a call when you can.

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 7 May 2009 11:20:58

• 11 months later...