Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 1600 5 speed Diff noise (I think) - help

Mr Fixit

Was out for e drive earlier and a knocking started, It come on quite suddenly, it is regular and about 1-2 seconds, does get a little fasted with speed but only on load, it goes completly on the overrin. Its not the engine as when I disengage the clutch the engige is fine, and I don't think its the box bit I can just feel the noise in the gear stick. I'm thinking diff or bearing, but the bearing theory would mean a constant noise

Any ideas or guidance would be appriecated *confused*

Agree with you it sounds lke the A frame bush.......not so sure about the "only take a minute" replacement. Caterham Midland did mine and it only took them a quick pit stop but they reckon to change them after every race meeting. Plenty of advice on how to do it on this site.

Thanks

I've got the car on stands and whipped out the A fram bush, looks pretty buggered but it is in two parts and I can't see this on the Caterham parts page, is there an equivelent. I have some spare bushes that came with the car. These are steel outer then a rubber bush and a steel inner and are about 30mm long 25 in dia with a13mm centre sleeve and there are 4. Looks like it could fit but it would be tight.

Mr Fixit,

Sounds like you have the bush for the A frame to chassis, rather than the A frame to axle. The one you need comes in 2 parts, rubber with steel end and inner sleeve.

Should take 30 mins to fit but you need to use the appropriate words of encouragement!

Paul