Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Luggage carrier

virden

I am planning to take the beast (1996 S3) over to the EU for two weeks, the CC luggage rack looks a little limited in capacity and utility. Does anyone know of an alternative suplier of such apparatus or has come up with a superior design I could copy/purchase?

Thanks

V

I went to Santa Pod and my world changed forever.

Did the job for my 3 week trip to the North Cape (Norway) ... together with a boot bag from SBF7. Btw, you'll be surprised what you can squeeze into that ‘little’ boot *wink*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Flanders AO - l7C.flanders.ao@telenet.be

A three man tent (canvas), two inflatable roll mats and two sleeping bags (in dry bags) is what we manage to pack onto our CC luggage rack.

Whatever rack you decide on, I would recommend the use of an extra long strap between the roll bar and the rack itself.

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Edited by - weeman on 19 Mar 2009 15:40:01

Use strong bin liners for stuff in the boot. One or two long soft bags on the luggage rack and then pile up on top, tying securely to the rollover bar. Just make sure anything you need in a hurry is on top and accessible and that the front wheels aren't just patting the road 😬. A big brolly stowed across the top is also a very good idea, preferably one big enough to cover the whole of the cockpit and over the screen. You can save space by not taking the hood 😬

Have been to france 7 times now, each trip has lasted 3 weeks. We don't bother with any kind of luggage rack - no spare wheel so a bit difficult! We just simply pack our clothes etc directly into the boot, don't use holdalls as they waste space mind you my boot is totally carpeted throuhout. We stay at gites and make sure they have a washing machine! Suppose if your camping then its different. Have a great trip.

Phil

I have completed two trips around Europe with my Mrs with the cc Luggage rack. Used a smallish hand luggage bag and strapped it to the spare wheel /roll over bar. Ok I have an SV which helps *smile*. My Mrs got all she needed into the bag and some books to read as well

We also filled the boot with one ruck sack /brollies and a fold up chair. The most important thing is to buy some dry bags to put around the luggage . Also get some intercom system to stop you shouting and pass the time away with some music.

Used the space at the back of the seats for beer bought when we got to France 😬. I call it the Caterham bar

Also been to Le Mans with a 4 man tent and the Luggage rack +bought a stack of beer home. Off again this year. *thumbup*

Have fun

Steve

Northerner in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

Spent 3 weeks on our honeymoon round France & Italy last September, mixture of camping and hotels. The luggage rack is great with a boating type roll top waterproof holdall - got loads in it. Also used the Soft bits re-bag as mentioned above, amazing how much fits in it. Also lashed two smaller roll top bags to the corners of the roll cage and had space in between them to bring back 2 cases of champagne! Not sure if you have one already but the soft bits half hood with the zip on/off back is a must.

Loaded Car

Oi! Saxo boy! you might think it's ugly, but you're only gonna see the back anyway!

Beaulieu #28

Edited by - Panto Si on 20 Mar 2009 04:37:19

Being a cockney who lived in Yorkshire (but no Scotish blood) we used to fill the boot with everthing warpped in stong bin liners, then two large sports bags bungeed to the roll bar uprights. Mirror vision unimpeded. All the overnight stuff in the sports bags an 15 seconds to remove. We did have a lockable bike chain thingie securing the handles to the roll bar - just to stop anyone walking off with them while at coffee stops.

As we had the sports bags I think the whole thing cost about £9.99

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I won't bother with the spare next time, just a can of tyre weld. I have a lockable musical instrument flight case that I will put in its place for some secure storage (Laptop etc.) when walking around sightseeing. Having said that, left the car loaded as in the pics all over France & Italy with no problems! Only thing nicked was a waterproof coat on a campsite in Epernay! I'd left it on the drivers seat overnight while we were in the tent.

Beaulieu #28

Oi! Saxo boy! you might think it's ugly, but you're only gonna see the back anyway!

Confirming that the luggage rack does the trick. At least it did for us travelling from Finland to Norfolk... As well as for carrying a Mini subframe, large sacks of cat sand and other bits and pieces *smile*

---

Kristoffer Lawson