Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series cooling again !!!!

stuart147

Not really ! Assuming heater valve is open (i.e. turned to 'hot'), one is enough !

Bit irrelevant as heater valve is a by-pass unit

In other words the flow never stops whether valve is open or shut 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

While looking at something else as important on my car this evening (stuck seat runners!), I noticed I got something else wrong in my Tee-piece description. Mine is in the hose that comes from the thermostate round the back of the block, not the hose to the top rail above the exhaust. No idea if it makes a difference or not - whether I get air out before or after the heater . ..

Bri

I found the best thing I did to help the bleed situation was to drill a small hole in the stat!!

I know it's been said here before just a few posts up, but I was banging my head with all the advice, and that's the best bit of advice I was given!

I had this problem (cold lower hose never heating up) and then a failed thermostat, resulting very high water temperature after a few minutes of idling. I solved it by fitting a PRRT (with some help from a mechanic friend). Now the temperature is rock steady, and the lower hose has full range of temperatures. Money and time well spent I think.

When it came to re-filling and bleeding the system he simply detached the header tank from it's bracket, topped up the tank fully, lifted the tank as high as the joining pipe would allow and massaged the hoses until the tank needed filling again. The heater was in the on position (valve open). This process was repeated several times.

Then he cracked open the radiator bleed and topped up a little again until antifreeze seeped from the bleed hole. He then closed it tightly.

Started the engine, continuing to hold the head tank as high as possible allowing the fluid to be drawn into the system and topped up as necessary. Finally more pipe massaging, small top up and the system was full. Ran the engine at idle to warm up fully, heater worked a treat, no leaks. Job done *wink*

I am Leg End...

I have never had a thread go over 1 page before, but to get to 3 pages is incredible. I did not realise that this " cooling problem" with K Series was so widespread. I have to thank everyone for the advice recieved about this, but have decided to go down the route of "just accepting" the fact that the bottom hose is never going to be as warm as the top one, or like on my own 7, not much warmer than stone cold. It has been the same now for almost 2 years of ownership, and adding almost 8000 miles in that time, I have no other issues other than the hose temperature.There has been no visible decrease in engine performance, no sign of oil usage, and at services, no reports of potential damage. Once again, many thanks to all of the replies, they do make interesting reading.