Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil surge: R400 Duratec with wet sump

John Vine

only routed to the inlet plenum for the sake of emissions

Really?

putting the holes in a different location categorically does not resolve the problem

Really?

So if there was no top plate at all, and the oil could quickly get down into the individual chambers etc...would this not change things? So surely a different top plate would be better.

The oil needs to get below the plate quicker than it currently does. That means the holes don't work correctly, so I disagree with you.

Willie

Willie, I am not going to launch into a lengthy diatribe here about the positioning of the holes in the plate. I am speaking from personal experience with 3 of my own engines and 2 others I have seen and discussed at great length with the owners, one of whom has forgotten more about Duratecs than most will ever know. If you choose to disagree with me and them, that is your prerogative. I am merely stating known facts, not hearsay or supposition.

Yes, if the plate is removed, you have a different set of circumstances prevailing. That much is obvious. I understood we were discussing the notion of siting the same holes elsewhere and my reply is based on that premise alone - not adding holes or removing the plate altogether.

As for the crankcase breather pipe, why else would it be routed to the inlet plenum?

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Toyota power It's the future!

The ultimate 'fix' is easy enough as Millwoods suggested in the first place, ie, fitting a dry sump. But that is costly and I can well understand John's desire to keep the cost down, especially if he just does the odd track day here and there.
There is absolutely no point him spending 100's of pounds trying to fix a very minor problem when it can be easily and cheaply circumvented by the suggested method of re-routing the crankcase breather.

Well expressed, Brent. That is exactly my situation.

Having spoken again to CC Parts (thanks, mic, for the info *thumbup*), I've ordered a camcover breather hose, hose connector, catchtank elbow (all standard R400D bits), plus a couple of blanking caps. So, I now have the choice of (a) re-routing the crankcase breather to the catchtank and blanking off the plenum input tube, or (b) blanking off both the crankcase breather and the plenum input tube. I'm favouring (a) at the moment as I can monitor oil loss (if any) and, if the sump is indeed overfilled, the surplus should be expelled.

Tony (TLG): Yes, I'll certainly report back on the fix I end up applying.

JV

Edited to correct my mangled quotes!

Edited by - John Vine on 4 Dec 2008 14:32:10

Edited by - John Vine on 4 Dec 2008 14:32:42

An update... I've now re-routed the breather. For those contemplating the same mod, these are the parts you need:

• 38E074A - breather hose (R400D camcover, with L-elbow) -- expensive, and about 50cm too long!
  • A026E0322Z - rubber elbow (for catchtank)
  • 70208 - hose connector
  • B7048 - blanking cap

Cost of parts: £46.35

And here's what to do:

1.  Remove the existing rubber breather hose (crankcase to plenum)
  2.  Attach the L-end of new breather hose to the crankcase breather outlet (using one of the existing size-25 hose clips)
  3.  Drill a 19mm hole in the top of the catchtank (opposite the existing hole for the camcover breather hose)
  4.  Insert the rubber elbow, trim the breather hose to length, and join the two with the connector (rubber lubricant helps here)
  5.  Secure the hose with cable ties
  6.  Fit the blanking cap to the plenum input pipe, and secure with the other size-25 hose clip (rubber lubricant helps here too)

Alternatively, if you plan simply to blank off the crankcase breather, all you need is two of the blanking caps.

JV

(Edited 31Dec18 to correct P/N for rubber elbow and fix formatting)