Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2009 dates and venues

L7 FST

Any idea when these will be announced?

On choice of venues, is there going to be any consultation beforehand with Club members? Ditto consultation about whether it's open pit-lane or sessions, and related price threshold etc?

Just asking....

(Obviously I know Geoff has a good sense of Club opinion but It would be qute easy to refresh it with a poll or questionnaire)

Stephen *cool*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of sorting dates out for next year, We will do 4 track days again next year with 3 of these being open pit lane, and obviously I will be trying to keep entry fees at an affordable level due to the credit crunch.

Due to the high cost in circuit hire, there will be no Brands Hatch GP next year. ☹️

Geoff *smile*

Agree with the comment about the novice session and if someone can be on hand to talk about and answer questions on the speed championship that would be a bonus. *wink*

Also not sure how the club works with regard to multiple drivers per car. Twin boys always tend to have to try to kill each other for the right to be the second driver. *mad* *mad*

Kinns,

I think the 1st club day (Cadwell) will be Open Pit. this should not put you off though - we had quite a few novices at Cadwell this year.

There is free instruction and there will be plenty of people on hand to help / answer questions / sit in with you if you want.

There are usually a few about who sprint regularly too. *thumbup*

Gnasher - Check with Geoff re 2nd driver

• Support Team

It's not a club event, but the Taffia pre-season shakedown at Llandow is a good place to start. Sessions for the first hour or so before going open pit lane and there are usually a few of the sprinters there. It's a simple track to learn where it goes but challenging to get right - it's also one of the sprint venues so worth it for some practice! Plenty of run off in most places and it tends to be a very relaxed day. Cost is £70 per driver so not prohibitively expensive for 3.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Hopefully the first track day will be at Cadwell Park on Monday 27th April. I'm still waiting for the date to be confirmed.

Like this year It'll be open pit lane with a sensible entry list, which will mean that there should be plenty of quality track time and no over crowdedness on track.

This year we ran open pit lane at Cadwell ,a few people (Novices) were daunted at the beginning, but at the end of the day when I spoke to them, they were surprised how unpressurised they actually felt when out on track with the open pit lane arrangement.

If anything, the driving standards were higher, with people using their mirrors more, moving over quicker to allow faster cars to overtake, and we didn't seem to have queues of cars that we sometimes have on sessions with drivers not moving over.

At the end of the day, it's about drivers of all abilities being respectful of each other and making allowances for it.

For Novices, We always have 2 ARDS instructors available free of charge at each club track day, they have helmet intercoms, and can give you plenty of advice on the best lines etc to enable you to get the most out of the day.

They can even take you out in your own car with you as a passenger if you prefer.

After the main saftey briefing, we always do an extended safety briefing for novices so there is always plenty of help and advice available as well as that from fellow entrants.

Gnasher - I can sort out something about multiple driver, just email me nearer the day.

Geoff *smile*

Gnasher2

There are normally a few sprinters at Cadwell Park and I hope to get along having missed out this year. The best piece of advice I can give is make use of the free ARDS instruction.

Oh and it is one of my favourite UK circuits *thumbup*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 13 Nov 2008 11:21:18

Thanks for all the helpfull suggestions. I will try to make both events as I really need some wheel time. I passed my ARDS (as did the boys) so one option we have is to book a testing session. Just looked at Llandow and you can have a day for £120 😬

As the boys are at uni in Swansea it looks like it could all work out nicely 😬

Attending the Llandow and Cadwell park will give a chance to get to know some of the sprint competition as well and that won't be a bad thing.

See you in the new year. *wavey*

We did exclusive club track days run for us by Bookatrack at Spa in 2006 and again in 2007 when there was supposedly enough support from members to repeat the day which unfortunately never materialised so I'm reluctant to repeat the experience again until demand dictates otherwise.

Geoff *smile*

Is the number of track days per year limited to 4 because of Geoff P's other commitments ? If so, fair enough but if there is a possibility of having more, I suspect many members would welcome it. Maybe someone could volunteer to help Geoff by running one or two if his time is the reason for having only four.

I wonder if it really necessary to stop using Brands. From the attendance last year, it looked pretty packed and it is an amazing circuit. It's one of the reasons that I (i) own a Caterham and (ii) never go on holiday in September. Is it me ?

Also, any chance of another Rockingham day ? Personally, I thought last month's was great.

Someone suggested a members' vote for venues which sounds a good idea.

Time isn't a problem, I could organise as many track days as you want me too, but with the financial crisis going on at the moment I have to reduce the clubs exposure to risk as people start to tighten their purse strings.

I will see how things develop early next year, and review the situation and if there is scope to do more then I will.

I too would have loved to do the GP circuit next year, but it is expensive.

Hopefully I'll still be able to do sort of reduced event at the circuit, but at this stage I can't give any details.

Geoff *smile*

It costs a whopping 29k to put a track day on at the GP circuit.

*eek* *eek* *eek*

Cadwell is a *LONG* way for me, (4+ hrs from Kent with the car on a trailer) but as I'm going to be doing a sprint there a few weeks later, I wonder if I can convince the other half to make it a long weekend to Skegness 😬 and then drive up in the Caterham ... Hmmn

Anyway, got to finish it first. If there's a day at Brands on the Indy circuit, I'd be very interested!

Jez

Still need to get dates confirmed but at present it looks like this for next year.

April 27th - Cadwell Park - Open Pit Lane

July 14th - Oulton Park - Sessions

September 14th - Cadwell Park - Open Pit Lane

October 9th - Anglesey Coastal Circuit - Open Pit Lane

In cojunction with L7C Sprint Round run by BAT

Free instruction at all days

Geoff *smile*