Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff top up via breather?

BYKer Will

Had a fun day yesterday on the floor greasing the prop and bleeding the brakes but I couldn't get the the diff plug out for a check and top up pre spa. I could get an allen key in with the dedion hanging out of the way but just couldn't undo it.

In the circumstances what is the blatchat wisdom on trying to slurp a bit of ep 90 in to it via the breather tube?

Will it go in and end up in the correct place?

Will any overfilling just vent out via the breather or will it cause damage ?

Anyone fancy sneaking into my garage and doing it for me as i can't face grovelling on the floor aagin?

Thanks

Will

PS it is a lsd of some discription in a dedion if relevant.

This will prob be a PITA because the hole is too small. It will do no harm though, you'll blow the XS out.

Leave the car alone for a bit, wait till the TV is carp, then gird your loins and have another go. You do this for fun after all. Squirt penetrating oil on it first, ideally the day before. Get a short length of thick pipe over the allen key, make sure it's all the way in (small hammer!) then "nnnnngggghhhhhh...*CRACK* and Bob's your Dad's brother.

BTW WD40 isn't as good as penol, buy some proper stuff: PlusGas or similar. I got a big tin of generic penol at a motor factor for £3 and it knocks spots off WD40. Keep WD for bike gear shifters.

I'd have thought that the breather is so small it'll just air lock and you won't get anything in. Ditto BOSS - have another go at the plug.

Having just sheared off a siezed brake bleed nipple, maybe I'm not the best person to ask...

(on the tintop, which is currently brakeless and waiting for me to figure out what to do next if the easi-out doesn't work.....Brake upgrade time?!)

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

If you're trying to undo it using a right angle allen key then give up. Buy an Allen socket or cut a section off the right angle key and use a std hex socket over that. Then use a decent legth ratchet handle or even breaker bar. Should come undone nice and easily then.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Will,

I'll second the cut down allen key and short piece of steel tube to give some leverage 😬

How did you support the car on axel stands - under chassis or dedion tube? one of these methods gives more room to work around the diff (cannot remember which but think it was the latter).

I've also done this with the boot floor removed - just a few self tappers to remove and it can be done with the car on the ground.

Filling via breather is a non starter in my opinion.

Regards

Ian

Will,

A word of warning *eek*

If your applying a lot of leverage to something at the back of the car while it's on axle stands, make sure you push against the car itself (equal and opposite and all that).

I did a similar job on my car and almost pulled it off the stands

Bruce.

It is a bit precarious doing the diff because as recomended on here I let the dedion hang down only just supported in the middle with most of the support on the chassis to get access. The whole car is then quite tippy and I was a little nervous about getting under it but i will have another go with a cut off bit of allen key and a long spanner.

I know neil did his in five minutes on a two post lift under the chassis but I ain't got one 🙆🏻

I will also try getting the floor out but finally will try either a small funnel or a small oil pump can into the breather which is only about 5mm internal dia.

Johnty- Do you think overfilling will do damage then?

sorry if boring by now but an update 😬

I bought an old fashioned squirty oil can and one foot of fuel tube that fitted nicely over the breather outlet and pumped in the ep 90 very easily indeed.

Obviously I couldn't check the level so I put a pint in and expect to blow some out all the way to spa! I left the tube on as an extended breather and will add a catch tank for the track just in case still coming out.

Thanks for all our help.

Oh does anyone know the size of the diff plug as I will buy a good quality bit for when I get back and do it properly.

Will

10mm Allen Key Socket is what you need.

A pint *eek*. Total capacity is only 1 or 1.1 litres IIRC so expect a good deal of that pint to come back out and make sure it can't get spray any where near the rear brakes/tyres 😬

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear