Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bike engined car owners. What water pump?

The Pikey

I've read some bad stuff abut the Davies Craig water pumps but with no other option known to me I bought one. Now its turned up I have to say I am more concerned that ever. The motor is the exact same as used in caravan roof vents and I have a stack of failed ones at work so I know they are not as reliable as some motors.

But what are you guys using? are you using the D.C one? are you happy with them? have you had any fail?

thanks

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

I'm using a bosch water pump that I believe is used for some VW diesel vehicles with turbos. It runs constantly whenever the ignition is on (ie not thermostatically controlled).

It has not given me any problems so far, I think it cost about £70 and I had to make a bracket for it.

Rob

Adam

if you do a search on google for Davis craig water pump theres a few people who are moaning about them.

Rob

I'll take another look at Bosch pumps.

Someone has pointed me at this one. looks great quality with a price to match but with the weak Dollar it could be OK.here

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

My DC EWP failed on my Radical at Silverstone on the back straight, and I was very lucky to notice the cloud of coolant in my mirrors and save the engine. I was then helpfully told, "yes, they often do that and we now recommend the bosch pump". Thanks for that...

Bu99er . . .. so DC pumps are carp them *mad*

However, as my engine now has more monitoring gubbins that the space shuttle, I'd hope it can tell me if the coolant gets a bit hot. So I don't think I'm not going to replace my DC pump at the moment. I'll just keep an eye on it and replace it with a Bosch unit in the not too distant future.

detailed pictures of a PAA 12 V Bosch pump I found on this page

http://www.t4forum.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=48472

this pump is used in VW buses for the heating circuit. the article is in german. it basically says the pump after 3-4 years depending on usage stops running and it describes the problem and how to solve it.

Hanns Per KOBER

blatting the alps in a CSR 200

www.hannsperkober.at/caterham.html

Here you find several catalogues professional electric water circulating pumps from the supplier of the electric water circulating pump in the BMW, Pierburg

you can download the catalogue in english

You find water circulating pumps for the support of the mechanical pump and the heating system

but also stand alone electric water pumps.

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ks/en/kataloge/pg_gesamtkatalog_en.asp

Hanns Per KOBER

blatting the alps in a CSR 200

www.hannsperkober.at/caterham.html