Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Castrol R

simon metcalfe

Am thinking of running my X Flow on Castrol R. The engine was converted to an unleaded head in 1994 and I've used Castrol GTX since, changing the oil every 2500 miles or so (my appx annual mileage with no track days). I would welcome any advice as to whether this is advisable (or even possible with the GTX residue in the engine after draining) and if so any problems / advice anyone has encountered with Castrol R in the past please. *tongue*

I'll state at the outset, my experience of Castrol R may well be out of date. From past experience I think it would be unadvisable to switch oils without removing all traces of the existing mineral oil. Either by dis-assembly or flushing out the crankcases. What would achieve this effectively I've no eye deer.

From memory there are no additeves or detergents in Castor based oils & as such require frequent oil changes. Not a problem in a competition engine but not practical for a road going vehicle.

I think that the attraction of Castrol R apart from the smell was the extra margin of safety it gave over the available mineral oils of yester-year in a highly stressed engine.

I suspect that there will be another more modern il better suited to your purpose.

D.

If you want the authentic smell just add a capful to a full tank of fuel.... I think that you will have to strip the engine and clean it, I'm pretty sure that you can't just drain your GTX and switch to Castrol R. I would suggest that you contact the Castrol technical department. I would stay with your GTX.

Regards

CAB

Do a search for Castrol R on the Castrol website and you will see:

"Castrol R40 provides the ultimate in lubrication. If the best possible performance coupled with reliability is the aim then the remarkable stamina and great film strength of Castrol R40 will provide a valuable margin of safety at ultra high engine speeds and temperatures.

A castor based lubricant which is primarily designed for the racing world; however its unique properties can also benefit private owners interested in high performance.

Never mix Castrol R40 with mineral based or synthetic crankcase oils"

I would definitely give them a call.

Edited by - CAB on 30 Jan 2008 22:08:26

I have a little experience running Castrol R in historic race engines, a Climax FPF in particular (not mine I hasten to add).

The first point is that the only reason we did it was that we had concerns about low oil pressure and putting R in was an instant cure. Unless you are looking to solve a similar problem, I am not sure there is much point.

The second point is that if you do decide to do, the engine does need a good flush. Castor oils dont last long and are easily contaminated, especially by mineral oils.

It is very effective in 2-stoke engines, but I suspect that is not very relevant here...

In it's favour, it is one of the greatest smells on the planet *thumbup*

Marc

Been a long time since I've heard talk of this stuff!

In my yoof days we ran motocross bikes on the stuff. I seem to remember you could go from the "Normal" oil to casrol R, but not the other way around. I seem to remember having to strip the engine regularly, to wash away a gooey build up on the engine internals. Which wasn't a problem, as motorcross engines didn't have a long life anyway.

But things change, and my memory is foggy! So I guess it's good advice already given to contact them. *thumbup*

I'd be interested to know the outcome. *wink*

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

Spend your money on Mobil 15w/50 fully synthetic, you will not be disapointed.

Even a good 10w/40 semi or a 5w/40 fully synth.

Scrap the out of date GTX [if the mineral 15w/40] even if you change it evey 5 minutes.

Castrol R is out of date for your modern version of the X/flow engine and as said will be more hassle than it is worth.

Helping and encouraging others rather than putting them down.

I wrote to Castrol a year or so ago now, asking whether they would consider synthesizing the Castrol R smell and incorporating it into one of their synthetics. The suggestion was to add it to one of their performance-range products, part of their heritage, brand-identity, association with performance etc, etc.

Fearing the response this might receive, I also asked if there was a safe way I could get the smell from the Caterham, mentioning what engine I had.

I received a very nice reply which, whilst not raving about the re-introduction idea (on cost grounds) they did okay adding a spoonful of Castrol-R to a tank of fuel, to safely recreate the smell. If the aroma is what you're after, I'd do as CAB suggested and add a drop to the tank, keeping the engine lubricated with your usual synthetic for the least hassle

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

You most definitely can Mick. But whether or not it'll b*gger it up is another matter *tongue*

Dunno if there's any anything about Castrol-R that could cause a problem when mixed with Diesel. Has anyone else here tried it? Might be worth checking with Castrol, just in case there's some weird alergic reaction with the diesel combustion process

I should add that I haven't got around to trying the addition of Castrol R to my petrol tank - I'm still not completely convinced that over time, it' wouldn't affect the injectors or wideband sensor

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 31 Jan 2008 19:23:14

Many thanks for all your input. The main reason for my interest in using Castrol R is simply for the smell as some of you have rightly guessed - there really is nothing like it and it seems to me to be a shame not to try it using in my as it were "old fashioned" X/Flow which does such a low annual mileage. I have heard of the "cup in the petrol tank" suggestion and have been concerned about it blocking the jets over time so yr input (CAB & K80RUM) is most helpful - thanks - I will give this a try first and revert with hopefully an eau de Castrol R success story in the spring. Thanks again, Simon. *smile*

All the best with it Simon. I for one, will be very interested to hear how you go (perhaps that should be smell how you go 😬)

As you're going to brave it, It might be worth starting small and then increase the amount until you get the smell, so you have the least risk of it blocking anything- I've seen 'a cupful' mentioned before but not known what the owner drove, so the proportions may or may not be perfect for a 7. Maybe starting with the spoonful or CAP-ful in a full tank would be worth a go first.

Darren E

Superlight R #54

I have been using Castrol R4 superbike oil in the blade, its a fully sinth 10-40W oil, and when i've had other 7's behind me and given it a boot, they say you get a faint castrol R smell *wink*

just been to Halfords to restock, and thay dont appear to have any

just Castrol 4 racing ☹️

'Pinky Pics' here

Good luck Simon

I remember going to a rally once and they were running the historics after the modern cars and there was a very smokey Imp (I think) on Castrol R. I'm not sure if it was the smoke or the nostalga making the old boys eyes water.

I keep trying to get my dad to run it in his old Brit bikes but he said that it was a race oil in his day and fine if you stripped the engine to clean out the sticky residue that used to form in the engine. He does have an old lawn mower that could do with an oil change though....

If you do decide to add some to your tank I would start with a very small amount. I would also make sure that you don't put any in for the first and last couple of tanks of fuel each so that you flush it all out.

CAB