Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo R888 SG - user experiences sought

davidvoas73

I get the wee little beasty back after a holiday at Millwoods (don't ask 😳) and need some new tyres....

Has anyone run the the r13/185 fronts and r13/205 rear combination in soft yet? Or a mix of gg and sg?

How do they compare to the gg compound?

What are the wear rates like?

What prices are people paying? I have used camskill in the past, but am hearing good things about simply tyres?

Thanks in advance.

David

David

I've had 205 60 13 SGs all round on mine since July and done a number of hillclimbs with them. Admittedly in the dry, but I've improved all my times very significantly, due at least in part to the tyres. The car's a 240+ bhp Vx and it sticks like blanket adhesive. Prior to that I had 048s which were ok but not as good as the 32s I had before that. The 888s are infinitely better for what I do which is mainly sprints and hills.

The rears are on 8" and fronts on 7" rims.

Not sure about wear rates yet but I can tell that the rears will go first and I reckon I'll get a season from the back and a bit more from the fronts.

I bought mine from Bracknell Tyres for about £74 a corner all in. One point worth noting, apparently Toyo have been known to send out the wrong compound (they did with me) so check before they fit them!

I haven't used them in the wet yet but I reckon (hope) they will be pretty good.

My only real problem now is that at 60 my gonads aren't as big as they used to be and I need to learn to be brave again.

Enjoy

Paul

Thats a pretty good price, you need to be registered for the W.S.C.C. Speed Series though which I am not *mad*

Size Price inc VAT 2007 RRP inc VAT

185/60 VR13 80V 2G £51.08 £68.99

205/60 VR13 86V 2G £62.22 £88.99

Does anyone have any better prices? I might be able to organise something similar locally... if anyones interested?

You could try Camskill , they seem to be fairly keen pricewise, although they still need fitting obviously... *smile*

Check under their trackday tyre clicky, I'd be up for a set if you do a bulk thing, 185 front and 205 rear *thumbup*

Edited by - JaseB on 26 Oct 2007 08:00:57

Agree on Toyo sending the wrong tyres out. They sent me two SG and two GG. Luckily its stamped on the side nice and large and the SG have large 'special compound' stickers on them. They corrected the problem in two days, which I thought was excellent service. *thumbup*

I never used mine though so can't comment on how good they are, as I had a change of plan

• Support Team

I'm also running 185 front, 205 rear SG compaound R888s for sprinting/hillclimbing in the club championship (class 5). As I drive to all events, I have been clocking up a fair few road miles as well. I fitted them halfway through the season so I have driven from Slough to Shelsley, Loton, Harewood, Curbourough and Wiscombe and competed at each of those events. All events were in the dry apart from Shelsley. I reckon the tyres should last for all of next season as well. They are much better than the CR500s I have for normal road use (and competed on before fitting the Toyos). Are they as good as the Kumhos? I don't know as none of the fastest competitors are using R888s and I am not very quick, but I do know they have given me a lot of confidence and all my times have improved this year compared with last.

As a road tyre they offer enourmous grip but I suspect you might only get a maximum of 2-3000 miles out of them and probably a lot less if you are a hooligan in a big bhp car. In the wet they are fine but as with all tyres of this type, care is needed in standing water/heavy rain.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Hmm re the prices, I have got the following from camskill:

GG

185/50/16 are £ 55 each inc vat and delivery

205/60/13 are £ 71 each inc vat and delivery

SG

185/50/16 are £ 62 each inc vat and delivery

205/60/13 are £ 78 each inc vat and delivery

DJ ... what price are you paying and who is supplying them?

Thanks

David

Hi,

I've rescently swapped to R888s and run with SG soft (185) on the front and SS medium (205) on the rear. I had a 2 day trackday at the Zolder circuit in Belguim a few weeks back and found that after 4-5 laps with '2-up' it was quite easy to over heat the rears (cold pressure was tad over 16psi, ambient air temp about 19degs, 200bhp+ SL). They're fantastic tyres compared to the CR500s I used to run - loads more grip, but I don't think I'd swap to SGs on the rear - I'll keep with medium.

Cheers

Rob

I'm still waiting for the detail but he is talking somewhere around £60 a corner for the tyres. Delivery would be extra. He has suggested having the same price for 185's and 205's to make life simpler. As soon as I have got some more detail I will post a separate thread in Chitchat. As well as a bulk buy I am checking whether we can get an evergreen L7C discount arranged.

Do you think there would there be any demand for any size other than 13 inch?

Steve

Superlight #63

Hi Steve,

Is that price the same for medium or soft?

Toyo do them in 185/60 in r14 only, but loads of different sizes for r15 ... bound to be some interest.

I have a contact in Worcs who might be willing to supply a bulk buy .. we can compare prices ...

Cheers

David

I am running 185/60 14s (GG compound) all round, so there's always one oddball ...... or two if Nick H currently on them.

I would be interested to know what price you could get on them, but I am in no rush as mine have plenty of meat on 'em.

I dont know how those prices compare to the discount that www.etyres.co.uk/lotus7club offer us, but their prices include fitting at a location of your choice.

It's sometimes easy to forget the £4-£10 it costs to get each the tyre actually fitted at another local/friendly fitters!

Just a thought.

Ian

(If you want to go faster, you will have to add lightness!)

Jingers - I am glad I am an oddball *wink*

I bought two Soft 048rs for the front as the rears had loads left. Extra grip on the front resulted in me driving quicker and wearing out the rears very quickly 🙆🏻.

So I'll be selling the two 48rs to help fund the 4 R888.

Nick h

Its Yellow And Black and Makes me 😬here