Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil overfilling - K Series

lowlander

Hi there,

I have slightly overfilled the oil on my K series 1400SS. Will this be OK or do I have to drain some off? The dipstick is the early plastic one with the notch cut at both sides to indicate max oil level.

Will the excess oil just burn off?

Thanks.

I suppose one risk is it may get onto clutch ??

Best to drain a little off, to be safe !

Depends on your definition of 'slightly' ??

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. Seven related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 1 Oct 2007 14:44:04

For information purposes on the correct oil level in a 1600K series wet sump.

I recently had my se7en serviced by CC Dartford and for reference purposes for future oil topping up I checked the level directly after the sevice. On the yellow plastic type dip stick, the level is spot on the notch. Although, having said all this, CC may have it wrong, but I like to think not.

Not wishing to teach your grandmother to suck eggs here, but one thing to remember when checking the level, always wipe off any trace of oil from first removal of the dip stick, this most certainly is not the correct level. Dip the stick again for correct reading and make sure the car is on level ground.

Hope that helps

ChrisL

Hi Martin,

Simplest way of reducing oil a nominal amount is to replace the oil filter or remove current one and allow is to drain, before refitting.

Can't see why early "poster" suggested clutch might be effected. Oil would only travel through towards the clutch if the Crank oil seal failed, not if you over filled it. In which case the oil would be in the bell housing and then drain downward!

Windage is the biggest problem with over filling...

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

A friend of a friend (ahem) over filled a bit on a track day.

Got black flagged for ALOT (cough) of smoke coming out of the exhaust

on left handers ( *smokin* *smokin* *smokin*)

Drained a bit through the appollo, and no harm done (he hopes).

*redface*

Better to drain it off, thru the filter, as suggested.

AB

If you've overfilled, you will see noticeably-higher OTs - my 1800 is slightly overfilled this time but I've been running it as-is rather than draining the excess.

TBH, after a few thousand miles, I've yet to see any real evidence that the level is receding.

The OT is running upto 10 degrees C hotter on the road than usual...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Suggest you drain some out.

I once overfilled my 1400K & then on the way to work next day left several clouds of white smoke.

I wouldn't have liked to have been the driver of the transit following.

Steve...

In may only be a Red 1.4K, but it goes to the ring & back!

After doing my first Oil change I found it almost impossible to check the oil level . The oil was so clean. It did seem against a kitchen towel that I had over filled it.

So I undid the oil drain plug and drained a bit out..Then thought..Ive drained too much *confused*.and then refilled it..But could I see the level..Oh maybe ..bol***ox I've over filled it

I went round and round in circles *cry* till I gave up and now after 2000 miles around Europe it is a tad low.

Surely a bit either way cant hurt

Steve

Northerner in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

I had a similar problem. The solution was fairly complicated, so I thought I'd not down the necessary steps for others to use:

Steps:

1/ Raise car on axle stands

2/ Undo drain bolt on bottom of Apollo until oil starts to flow slowly out

3/ Drop drain bolt onto floor

4/ Try to stem flood of oil with thumb

5/ Wonder how the hell you're going to reach the drain bolt, which has rolled four feet across garage, without removing thumb

6/ Stuff wodge of dirty tissue from back pocket into drain hole of Apollo.

7/ Retrieve drain bolt

8/ Remove wodge of tissue, precipitating new flood of oil

9/ Replace drain bolt

10/ Clean up huge pool of oil

11/ Refill the engine with oil

12/ Discover you've put too much in again

13/ Return to step 1

Hours of fun are to be had here. My advice is to ignore it and go for a drive. After a few miles, if more than a teaspoonful of oil is in the breather catch tank then it's overfilled. You should then empty the catch tank in a responsible fashion and go home to drain a bit off, pref via the filter as others have said.

You won't harm the engine unless you have overfilled by >1L in which case it will spit 1 litre + of oil out of the breather.

My K had a catch tank and a dry sump. Any racer needs a breather catch tank to keep oil off the track, it's a track reg and I thought was a track day requirement.

If you undo the drain plug it can be hard to replace when oil is gushing out. Not so the filter - undo it a bit and just let it leak out slowly till you fancy doing it back up. *smile*

Read the story above about the drain plug going AWOL and you will understand my reasoning. *wink*

1) Oil should be dipped with engine running and warm as far as i have been told

2) I bought an oil pump which allows you to feed a pipe down the dipstick to then 'suck' the oil out, as much as you want, no mess, no fuss, really good bit of kit. use it to drain the diff as well before refilling. It also has litre marks which show how much you have taken out and therefore how much to put back in. You will of course have to drain through the sump on servicing.

Do a google search on oil drainers, here not that expensive (about £60 ISTR)

Also good for service interim oil changes which don't do any harm