Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What preps are needed for RR - updated following session

Andy Best

I have a RR session booked at Emerald next week, the engine (K series Scholar 1.8 bottom end VHPD head valves and cams) has done 1000mls since it was built by DVA, what should I do in prep for the mapping.

So far I have changed the oil to Halfords synthetic and put on a new oil filter. I plan to get a new air filter. I have checked all the coolant hoses and will replace a couple of perished looking ones later today.

Can anyone suggest anyting else 🤔

Thanks in advance

Andy

Edited by - Andy Best on 17 Sep 2007 19:48:11

Off the top of my head.

Full tank of your chosen fuel plus extra just in case it turns out to be a long day.

Fit a new fuel filter if the existing one's history is unknown.

Put a bit extra air in your rear tyres. If they're too hard you can let some out.

Pending the replacement of coolant hoses, be extra sure you've got no air locks in the coolant system. This is crucial.

Camera / camcorder

Finally, take extra "brave pills" with you as Dave is going to thrash your pride & joy to within an inch of its existence 😬

OK thanks for your comments, can do bickies and bleeding the water system is easy since I fitted the Bricol bleed tee *thumbup*. Never thought of the fuel filter, car has done about 20000 mls never had a problem with the fuel supply but if I were to change the filter where is it 🤔

Andy

As per Davesport's post some brave pills and maybe a toilet roll. especially if you are asked to be in the car on the high speed runs. Really wierd sitting stationery in the 7 at about with 90mph on the clock and with massive noise, and praying that the rollers don't seize and send you flying through the brock wall about 10 feet in front of your radiator. Had mine on the rig at Marshalls in Cambridge, and the noise going through the walls apparently drove prospective customers out of the Citroen showroom which sat in front of the garage worskshop!

What a great day turned up at 9.30 Dave and Leoni were great hosts.

I didn't realise the only good petrol near Daves place was an hour round trip so I ended up mapping on 95RON, in itself not a bad thing means I can always use poor fuel if I can't get the good stuff.

The Swiss and Irish guys added to the fun *wavey* and we had some good banter even though I chickened out of uping the rev limit above 7900 - well it is only a standard crank and rods.

Andy 😬