Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I think my scuttle's bonded on with Sikaflex

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

*mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

2 securing nuts removed at each side, all the rivets out from the front, popper bases removed, all other furnishings - wipers, washer jets, cut-out switch removed, and the damn thing still isn't going anywhere *mad* Either I'm missing something very obvious, or the black rubbery but solid goo that's evident at each side join is Sikaflex!

Any tips on how to release a Sikaflex bond without damage to panels or paint? I've thought about trying to break the seal with something like a wallpaper scraper carefully pushed in but I'm aware it's an ally to ally join and will be easily damaged!

Stu.

• Leadership Team
Rivets from the side by cills removed??
Yes *thumbup*

What about the bolts through the scuttle round the steering column
I'm removing it separate from the vertical bulkhead section, hence all the front rivets have been removed!

Stu.

• Leadership Team

I'm removing it in order to sort/repair/tidy the wiring to the dash etc, but more importantly ...... to remove the bulkhead panels to be powder coated, along with all the interior panels, rear bulkhead, footboxes etc. most of which are already out *thumbup*

I belive it's stuck solid at each end because there's absolutely no movement up and down - nothing that even resembles flexing! The wiper spindles are moving quite easily *thumbup*

And I thought removing the lower (horizontal) bulkhead panel was going to be my biggest challenge!

Stu.

Are you sure you've removed the two bolts on either side behind the triangular part of the dash? There is a metal U-section bar held down by two 11mm (I think) bolts on both sides that clamps both sides down. You may need to remove the knee trims to get to these. If you've removed the bolts, have you got the bar off? If this is rusted down, you might be able to lever/chisel if out without damaging the ali.

Don't think you've mentioned these or maybe you have - apologies if I've misunderstood.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 Jan 2007 17:19:36

• Leadership Team

Spent another hour on it this evening, and it's definately Sikaflex *mad* Not only is it between the aluminium sections of the scuttle and the chassis sides, it's also in the channels into which the steel reinforcing sections fit! The 4 retaining bolts are rather superfluous!

At this point I'm demoralised *thumbdown* Powder coating all the chassis interior panels is straightforward, but I would have prefered to have done the same to the full bulkhead and footboxes. I'd rather not do anything engine-side of the bulkhead than do it piece-meal so it looks for now as though the footboxes are going to stay where they are, and stay bare ally. Shame, because up until this point it's all been pretty plain sailing (that is, in stripping-a-Caterham-terms!) and I was getting quite enthusiastic about having as much pannelling as possible a little better protected against the elements. It's unfortunate because the scuttle's been removed in the last 12 months when the car was painted!

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Broken but not beaten *thumbup* Went back for another attempt, then another, then another .........

It's taken about 2 hours all in but I've finally released it - combination of Stanley knife, wall paper scraper and wood chisel (as a lever!). There was no way cheese wire was going to get through - there's just not suitable entry and exit points, so it's just been a case of nibbling away at the join from each side. Inserting a wallpaper scraper in between 2 shiny painted panels is not one of the most envious task you can do, but it's worked 😬

Now for the next panel........

Stu.