Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Instrument Displays

TerryHoll

Am just having an R500 engine installed into my Roadsport A (due to pick it up next Friday *cool*), and have been advised my Ministers that keeping an eagle eye on oil / water temperature and oil pressure is a good idea, especially on track days. The other problem that I have is that my current rev counter doesn't go up to 9000rmp so keeping an eye on the revs is going to be a bit of a problem.

In addition, I have a hankering to install some timing equipment onto the car as well for sprints etc.

Having spoken to Caterham about one of their Stack Systems, it seems that it will set me back well over £2000 + VAT.

Is there a more cost effective way of achieving what I need without parting with so much cash? I have a copy of the red demon tweeks catalogue in front of me and am a bit confused by all of the options.

Any views would be gratefully received.

Cheers....Terry.

Can't see how it adds up to £2k + theft.

ISTR the dash itself is 800 + VAT, then you need a few sensors of which the wheel speed sensor is the most expensive, and comes in at around 100£ if from Stack. You can use another M8 NPN proximity sensor, but make sure it can cope with the environment. The water and oil temp sensors are cheap, the oil pressure is just a VDO resistive sensor, and can not be that expensive. You'll need to modify your loom, but the only expensive part is the MIL spec connector which is around 50£. WOost case I think it adds up to 11-1200£ + theft.

Of course you need another dash too, but unless you go carbon it shouldn't be too bad either.

I have converted my own loom so it is possible!

/regin

IIRC the dash panel is over £100 even if it's a std ali one. So if you add in labour for CC to fit you may well be looking at close to 2k I guess.

Sorry Terry but I don't have any better suggestions other than doing the labour bit yourself.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Terry

If you don't mind all the dials I'd go for mechanical Oil Pressure, plus seperate water/ oil temp. I have the Stack and tbh it's OK but std dials are easier to read when you are hanging on for dear life *smile* Stack do a nice Tacho with Digital Speedo readout then I'd probably use Racetech for the others

Mark

Out of interest, what length of capillary is best suited for a 7?

I want to fit a new oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature gauge in my new carbon dash, and want to make sure all the bits are there first.

Only dead fish go with the flow....