Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Brooklands screens

James B.

James, it is all pretty straigthforward... do a search and #I~'m sure you will find plenty of advise.

Mirrors... Demon Thieves spring to mind, though there are plenty others out there waiting to take your money. The secret of fitting the mirrors (IMHO) is to countersink the holes from below and use countersunk s/steel screws with domed nuts on the top.

If you car has knee panels that cover up the retaining nuts on the windscreen stanchion, then drill two 1" holes with a flat drill to give yourself socket set access to the retaining nuts and use a 1" grommet to blank it off afterward. Its a lot easier and quicker than removing all the pop rivets and then having to refit them.

If the written word doesn't make sense, do feel free to phone me - 01444 892127

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

My knee panels are screwed on but that may be because I used to have the luxury leather covered ones. However there is an easy way to remove the stanchion without touching the knee panels, but you will need to remove them 1st to fit the mod. Replace your scuttle retaining channels, 1 either side, with the up-market ones which have captive nuts for the stanchion fixings: £28.20 a pair from CC.

Jame, which stanchion did you buy? If it's the one that follows the same line as the full windscreen it's possibble to drill through the scuttle and the stanchion to mount the centre mirror and the side mirrors and hide the holes under the fullscreen rubber and stanchion - makes it all very solid as well. I also drilled through for the inner mounts for the screens as well but hand to use counter sunk bolts from underneath the stachion for the outer mounts. Don't ask me for the sizes I got all the kit from Stoneleigh but the nuts and bolts seemed weak but in actual fact it's all very solid.

Mirrors from SVC are good. I used the "wing" mirrors, also refered to as Lucas mirrors - can't remember where I got the centre mirror from *confused*

2 hours to change from Brroklands to full screen and same the other way.

Paul M

Hi Jamie

Well like Paul all my mirrors and the brooklands are fitted from below the stanchion with countersunk set screws. I did a write up here or on the 7ns list on 'how to' think it was the 7ns list. The wing mirrors are Lucas mirrors with the big studs cut off the bottom and replaced with countersunk set screws. I started with a chrome centre mirror but changed to an SPA black one. After 6 years all is still very rigid.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Why bolt the screens through the scuttle. No structural need & it's so much easier to remove when you decide to return to the dark side.

By the way SPA mirrors seem to work well but maybe go with the convex surfaces as this gives a wider field of view.

Why put anything under the stanchion? Any marking is hidden by the stanchion for the aeros & the big air brake thingy.

Edited by - Mick Day on 19 Aug 2006 21:47:10

• 2 weeks later...

Finished fitting my Brooklands screens & went for my first Brooklands blat yesterday, what a difference, no more buffeteing, comfortable drive at 100 mph; it's like having a different car. Thanks for all the advice, my only regret is that I didn't go over to Brooklands sooner.

James. *biggrin* *biggrin* *biggrin*

All I did was anwer the question.

My Brooklands are fastened directly to the scuttle and don't need a band. They are still interchangeable with the windscreen in about 20 minutes *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)