Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Under heating K series

Peter T

I have a feeling that my car has no thermosta or it is broken.

Initial facts are that it takes a long time to get any heat , also on the rolling road we had problems getting it upto 70 degrees plus only mapping at 5000rpm and above rose the temperature.

On the way home on the motorway the temperature was 60 degrees only so not ideal?

Where is the thermostat in a k series engine and what type do i need ?

Carbon Components Here *arrowright* K9 Composites

Not quite in the same league but Chris Normans 1.4 SS ran at similar temperatures IIRC and got much cooler at speed with airflowing through the rad and his had no stat fitted.

Bozz

Edited by - Bozz on 3 Apr 2006 21:50:27

Peter

Don't try and dismantle the thermostat housing on the engine, there is a single bolt that holds the plastic housing to the block, undo this and take the whole thing off, it's also a nightmare to remove or refit the hose to the housing in situ so another 'do it off the car' job *idea*

Mark

Hi Peter,

Bozz is correct, bought my seven last November and water temperature appeared low, would rise a little when car was standing, but on the move the temp dropped. Thought it temp sender unit and possibly thermostat. Investigation showed no thermostat so fitted standard part from CC. Straight away there was a big difference as the engine actually got hot, temp gauge then showed 120 degress !! Replacement temp sender sorted that out. *smile*

If you go for the thermostat option be careful when refilling the coolant, loads on BC about getting rid of airlocks. Mark is right it is an "off the car job" to change.

Good luck

Chris *thumbup*

Leave the hoses intact. They are more than a bugger to remove and replace.

Take the skin of your knuckles - not the hose from your stat... Painful, but less effort - and it works 😬

FWIW, I run a 74 degC stat - and that's basically spot-on what the car sits at (SPA gauge) when underway.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Peter, if it's an ex-race car it's probably not got a stat. Removal is compulsory on Roadsporst B and above. Bugger to warm up on the road, never really gets warm. tape over the top 1/3 of the rad will help this time of year.

Martin

Roadsports B with upgradeitis